• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

mixing formats in FCP

So, I'm in an unusual position -- I've got a project that I'm cutting in FCP, where most of the project has been shot by kids on mini-dv, but I've got to shoot some footage myself and my preference is to shoot it on DVCAM.

So, can I mix formats on the same timeline in FCP?

My thinking is that FCP converts everything to QT, so there shouldn't be an issue -- or am I just being stupid?

Feel free to tell me if I am -- because I'd rather be stupid in my assumptions, than stupid when everything has been shot ;)

Oh -- there is a really good reason for me to shoot on DVCAM -- and the different resolutions aren't going to present an issue in the cut (image wise)

Shouldn't be a problem as far as I know Clive. DVCAM footage is actually identical to DV footage. The naming difference is a sony convention and refers to recording medium rather than recording format.

The footage, to my knowledge, will have to be re-rendered to conform with the sequence settings.

Presumably that means I can chose which direction I go with that -- rerendering the mini-dv to dv-cam

Shouldn't be a problem as far as I know Clive. DVCAM footage is actually identical to DV footage. The naming difference is a sony convention and refers to recording medium rather than recording format

That makes sense, as the quality difference comes from the better tape and usually better optics rather than the format

Cheers everyone -- if it throws up any issues I'll let you know.

Should be no problem to mix DV and DVCAM they are both DV25 streams. So the same settings should work just fine. I've done it before with no problems. We use a DSR-20 VTR that plays back both DV and DVCAM so the VTR just deals with the different format and FCP sees it as a DV25 input via fierwire.

Last edited:
Should be no problem to mix DV and DVCAM they are both DV25 streams. So the same settings should work just fine. I've done it before with no problems. We use a DSR-20 VTR that plays back both DV and DVCAM so the VTR just deals with the different format and FCP sees it as a DV25 input via fierwire.

Thanks, that's exactly the information I was looking for -- I knew they'd be someone here who'd already done this.

Well, just to confirm, we've done this before many times and it doesn't cause any problems mixing DVCAM and miniDV on the same timeline. You run into issues when you're mixing something with different frame rates or different aspect ratios, but those can also be worked around. For your situation, shoot away and put the footage together on the same timeline, no problem.

Back