Minimalist web presence?

Hi all - I'm working on my first short, that I hope to make a feature version of later. By day Im a web graphic designer, by night an aspiring actor/director. I'm curious what people would recommend as far as creating web sites, social media pages, etc to promote themselves and their projects. Even though Im a web designer, and a site is fairly easy to create, I'd also like to consolidate my projects as much as possible.
For example, many studio films redirect to a page on their studios site, like www.sonypictures/examplemovie. The movie Chronicle used their facebook page as their main "website". Of course, a short by a no name director isnt the same as a blockbuster. Just curious if anyone on here has had success consolidating their websites and social media pages? Thank you for any feedback.

It's never too early to start implementing a marketing plan. Though, you're right.. A short by a no-name director isn't likely to garner a whole lot of attention. At least not before the short is finished and even then only if it's really really good, or interesting, or whatever.

Will Vincent is so right on those two points. 1. Never too early…2. Yep, it's a challenge.

And with those things in mind, I think you have to just start. One thing that goes overlooked is the app. Once someone has the app, every update you make, will be sent to them in the form of a push notification. You mentioned wanting to consolidate your projects…? An app can serve has a highly efficient method of doing that. They don't have to scour the web for your work. You can send your fans/clients to your work straight from the app. Yes, it takes time to establish the fact that your app actually exists, but I would just start; build it brick by brick.

Russell

http://kalipermedia.com

Facebook pages are pretty useful, if you send invites to you're friends and they like it, their friends friends can see them like it in their newsfeed and snowball it. Not a page for a movie, but I managed to get to about 700-800 likes on a community page about a my old highschool, there was about 300 likes in the first week and it
grew from there. Also if you have a bit of money to spare Facebook has a feature for promoting the page.

You should also link twitter/facebook/instagram together for ultimate effect.

Hope this helps!

I appreciate the the feedback everyone, sounds like you all dont recommend the minimalist approach to social media promotion...thats understandable, I guess I have some work to do! Thanks again for the suggestions.

Back