• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Mini DV to Computer to DVD

So im trying to figure out what is the best way to take video I shot with my mini DV camcorder, that I put on my computer, edited, and to put on a dvd playable in a dvd player. What i have going on is I was at a horseshoe tourny and there was a surprise wedding. Which in turn i became the unofficial videographer as no one else had a camcorder. So now I have it all nice and edited in sony vegas, but I need to figure out what output file it should be in, whether or not I should deinterlace it, "if its going in a dvd player" and what to use that is free to transfer it to a playable DVD. All so I can hand it to them and they can simply play it. Ive been trying different things, but I either lose a lot of quality converting it to a file, or I get a weird interlacing problem when I render it out as deinterlace. Any tips would be great, thanks. The whole video is 58 minutes, and I have converted it to a avi file, uncompressed, so its like 12gb but that is with the deinterlacing. But all attempts of putting that file on a dvd has failed. Thanks again.

So im trying to figure out what is the best way to take video I shot with my mini DV camcorder, that I put on my computer, edited, and to put on a dvd playable in a dvd player. What i have going on is I was at a horseshoe tourny and there was a surprise wedding. Which in turn i became the unofficial videographer as no one else had a camcorder. So now I have it all nice and edited in sony vegas, but I need to figure out what output file it should be in, whether or not I should deinterlace it, "if its going in a dvd player" and what to use that is free to transfer it to a playable DVD. All so I can hand it to them and they can simply play it. Ive been trying different things, but I either lose a lot of quality converting it to a file, or I get a weird interlacing problem when I render it out as deinterlace. Any tips would be great, thanks. The whole video is 58 minutes, and I have converted it to a avi file, uncompressed, so its like 12gb but that is with the deinterlacing. But all attempts of putting that file on a dvd has failed. Thanks again.

Regular DVD should be interlaced. Doesn't Sony Vegas have a burn to DVD option? My trial has run out on that software, but I think I remember having the option of DVD-authoring.

I need to figure out what output file it should be in, whether or not I should deinterlace it

I'm not familiar with Sony Vegas at all, but here's the basics.

1) Export as an MPEG2 file, as either de-interlaced or "progessive".

2) Use Windows DVD Maker (free, and very simple) to make a basic DVD.

In theory, you can just drop your AVI file into Windows DVD Maker but maybe some proprietary Sony codec is making things difficult? Too many variables to just guess at, tbh.

I was at a horseshoe tourny and there was a surprise wedding

If you'd been at a shooting range, would it have been a shotgun wedding?
emotrimshotwd1.gif

I'm not familiar with Sony Vegas at all, but here's the basics.

1) Export as an MPEG2 file, as either de-interlaced or "progessive".

2) Use Windows DVD Maker (free, and very simple) to make a basic DVD.

In theory, you can just drop your AVI file into Windows DVD Maker but maybe some proprietary Sony codec is making things difficult? Too many variables to just guess at, tbh.

Zensteve, I'm not necessarily arguing, but I'm a little confused as to why you're suggesting this. Am I not correct that regular DVD is interlaced? I got the impression that the OP is using DVD to play on TV. That should be interlaced, no?

Im also using windows Vista 64bit business. Also the sony vegas movie studio hd platinum 10 trial...as im to broke to actually own it. If that helps any.

Last edited:
Im also using windows Vista 64bit. Also the sony vegas movie studio hd platinum 10 trial...as im to broke to actually own it. If that helps any.

That does help. Platinum 10 has both DVD authoring and Blu-ray authoring. You don't need to export anything. Just let Vegas burn the DVD for you. Now, the only question is whether or not you have a Blu-ray burner. Forgive me for assuming, but I'm thinking you have regular DVD.

Yes, just a regular, single layer dvd burner. Now as I wrote this, i went to check vegas for the dvd option and guess what, my trial ran out...So im going to try and reinstall the trial/re register or whatever. Assuming, even though it is a trial, it will allow me to use the dvd authoring?

Yes, just a regular, single layer dvd burner. Now as I wrote this, i went to check vegas for the dvd option and guess what, my trial ran out...So im going to try and reinstall the trial/re register or whatever. Assuming, even though it is a trial, it will allow me to use the dvd authoring?

I'm going by memory, but I believe the trial is fully-functional. Here's what's sweet -- you can download a trial of a different version of Vegas! :lol:

The cheapest version doesn't have DVD authoring, so download a trial for one of more expensive options, and I'd be willing to bet you can open your project from within it.

Re-installing or re-registering won't do anything. It'll still say your trial has expired.

Well, I remember I had vista dual booting with XP so i went to XP and was able to install Movie studio again on that :) AND i found the Burn to DVD option in tools...which i would have expected to see in the project list tab, right next to Render...Oh well, either way, it is in the process of rendering/burning to DVD. Hope it works. When i hit the start button for burning, i noticed it selected 60i and it wouldnt let me change it, so I hope that works also. Im at 72% rendered, will let ya know how it turns out! Thanks :)

Ok, am I missing something. It burnt it to disc, then said writing lead out for like 7 min but i noticed the dvd led was not active. Now when i go to play the disc, both my computers see it as a blank disc, despite i can physically see the burnt image on it...

I managed to see the contents using nero, but neither nero or any other program I have would let me finalize the disc. So i transfered the contents to my computer and will try and reburn them back to dvd once I get home. maybe this way i can at least make a neat little menu at the beginning...If it works.

:) OOooo Yeahhh! Finally. Got it. After a few trys, using nero and dvd flick, neither which worked...I used Ashampoo and badaboom badabing it works. Thanks for all the help guys, especially Cracker Funk, "fist bump" haha. Oh and I did this in windows XP instead of Vista...Which im thinking Vista may be giving me more problems with videos then I realize. :hmm:

Back