Mics and Adobe On Location

I was wondering if anyone has found a way to run a mic straight to the computer instead of through the camera while using On Location? I read through all the manuals and books and haven't found a way... maybe I'm missing it, but more than likely it's not possible. I was wondering because I would love to have the extra sound, and I'm also looking at upgrading my camera and there are some great HD cameras out there for cheap but have no mic input jack and running it straight into the computer while using OnLocation would make it A LOT easier and would make it so I wouldn't need to use a seperate audio recorder or need a mic inout jack. Let me know. Thanks

For a separate audio interface I would recommend the MOTU Traveler ($850); lots of controls on the face panel, four mic inputs w/selectable phantom power, is powered via firewire, word clock in/out, SMPTE time code sync and is built fairly ruggedly. It would also work great for audio post.

Another option is the Beachtek DXA-6A ($280) or the juicedLink CX231 ($300). So unless your camera has no mic inputs at all it would route the audio through the camera to your laptop.

I would suggest the beachtek route.. if you want to use onlocation. As far as I'm aware it will only support the input of a single camera at a time... the beachtek would let you run a stereo signal into the camera, which could be mic or line level from a single mic, two mics, or as many mics as you're able to support with an external mixer.

I'm sure other audio devices could be used with onlocation, but they would only allow you to capture the audio not audio from one device and video from the camera.

I'm not sure what cameras you're looking at, but I don't see how an HD camera could be all that great at a reasonable price without at least an 1/8" mic jack. *shrug*

Back