Microphone for 100 dollars ?

Can I get any descent mic for about 100 dollars ?

I want to record some nice voice overs and foley as well as to improve my audio when doing dialogue .

I know this is very little money but im on a budget -_- .

Last edited:
The Audio Technica ATR 6550 is a shotgun mic you can get for around $65 US on Amazon. That said, it's not a great mic, but then you're not going to find a great mic for under $100. It will, however, get you usable sound if you're on an extreme low budget.

Here's a review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXTbnksUf7I

What are you capturing the recording with?
You may want to start out with a Tascam DR-05 or Zoom H1 if you don't have anything to record with. Also the Tascam DR-08 is a perfect starter unit that can stay with you for a long time but is a little more.

The Shure SM58 (or SM57) (with a popshield of your own making) is one of the best all round microphones for your budget. Used 'em for years.

Yup, the SM-58 is a great mic, a standard in the music industry for years; I have two plus an SM-57. But it IS NOT a good mic for production sound or Foley work. Passable for VO, but not that great. Why? It's effective range is measured in inches, not feet.

You can get the Rode VideoMic with a boom-pole for about $170 at B&H. Pretty good for a consumer unit. The ATR-6550 is not a favorite of mine, but many no-budget types use it.

Once you dive into low impedance prosumer products you're going to have to spend a lot more.

The big "secret" to great sound is mic technique - and each aspect (singing, VO, Foley, sound effects, etc.) has their own specific techniques.

Back