• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Microphone and Sound

Hello again to all. I have many questions. I will start with sound today. Here is some information on what I have.
I have purchased a JVC GZ-HD300R Everio camera, Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum Pro Pack for editing, an M-AUDIO MICROTRACK 2 recorder, and a 4 point lighting kit. I am currently constructing a boom pole.
Because I rushed and bought a camera I didn't get one with an external mic, so I bought the MICROTRACK 2 to record into. I need a mic for the boom pole. I have been researching and reading. (Alcove Audio blogs were very helpful) From what I'm reading I need a shotgun mic for outside and a condenser mic for indoors. But I can't hook a shotgun mic to a boom pole can I? If so will I switch from shotgun to condenser on the boom for outside and inside shots? Is there one mic to do both jobs?

Also, if I am recording audio when the camera is filming and recording audio from the boom mic how does that work in editing? Do I just sync up with the wave patterns? Is there a technique?

I will be making some 10 minute short films if that helps. Thanks for any and all info. Gregg

But I can't hook a shotgun mic to a boom pole can I? If so will I switch from shotgun to condenser on the boom for outside and inside shots? Is there one mic to do both jobs?

Shotgun - Rode NTG-2, Rode NTG-3, Audio-Technica AT897
Cardioid Condenser - Oktava MK-012, Audio-Technica AT4053b

The whole point of a shotgun - or any other production sound mic - is to put it on a boom pole. You have constructed your boom pole to accommodate a shockmount, right? You swap out the shotgun for the cardioid when you move from outdoors to indoors and vice versa. The Oktava should fit the shockmount that comes with the NTG-2 kit.

Is there one mic to do both jobs?

Yes, a shotgun can be used indoors, but you will end up with that hollow "roomy" sound unless you possess a great deal of skill and prepare the set extensively. Most professionals will choose a hyper-cardioid over a shotgun 99% of the time.

Also, if I am recording audio when the camera is filming and recording audio from the boom mic how does that work in editing? Do I just sync up with the wave patterns? Is there a technique?

Please get the terminology correct; there is no such thing as a boom mic. There are many different types of mics that can be put into the shockmount at the end of the boom pole.

You use a slate and meticulous video and audio logs. You can use the on-camera sound as a guide track as well.

Back