Mic sudgestions!?

I have the zoom h4 and now im looking for a nice shotgun mic! At the moment im looking at the rode ntg-2, and the azden SGM-2x/1x.

I am looking to get a used mic just for the fact that i can gett better quality for cheaper. Does any one have experience with either of these mics? Or if some one has a better mic in those price ranges? I would love any help! Thanks!

Okay, so I know I'm going to catch flak from the sound guys for this, but I'm planning on buying one of the $35 Chinese shotgun mics (you can find them if you search for 14.37 inch shotgun mic on ebay). I've been listening to reviews and they sound decent. One video compared it to a Rode VideoMic and it honestly sounded better, for less than 1/3 of the price (search for it on YouTube and you can find tons of great reviews and comparisons). I'm on a super-limited budget at the moment. It's basically between this and a VideoMic, and considering this one apparently sounds better, I'm gonna go for it. If it turns out it sucks, then I'm only out $35.

At some point I'll be investing in some really good mics, etc., and at that point obviously I'll spend the hundreds of dollars necessary to get a good mic. But if I'm going to get a low-end mic, I'd rather get the best value (ie lowest cost for the highest quality sound). And if I get the less expensive mic, then I might be able to swing the Tascam DR100 rather than a Zoom H4N.

I should be ordering it later this week, and will post sound tests whenever it comes in (takes a couple weeks since it's shipping from China).

Okay, so I know I'm going to catch flak from the sound guys for this, but I'm planning on buying one of the $35 Chinese shotgun mics (you can find them if you search for 14.37 inch shotgun mic on ebay). I've been listening to reviews and they sound decent. One video compared it to a Rode VideoMic and it honestly sounded better, for less than 1/3 of the price (search for it on YouTube and you can find tons of great reviews and comparisons). I'm on a super-limited budget at the moment. It's basically between this and a VideoMic, and considering this one apparently sounds better, I'm gonna go for it. If it turns out it sucks, then I'm only out $35.

At some point I'll be investing in some really good mics, etc., and at that point obviously I'll spend the hundreds of dollars necessary to get a good mic. But if I'm going to get a low-end mic, I'd rather get the best value (ie lowest cost for the highest quality sound). And if I get the less expensive mic, then I might be able to swing the Tascam DR100 rather than a Zoom H4N.

I should be ordering it later this week, and will post sound tests whenever it comes in (takes a couple weeks since it's shipping from China).

Yeah im looking to spend a little more than that (150-200 range) but i am interested to see how the sound will come out on that mic!

If you can save up a little more - the Rode NTG-3 is stellar.

I didnt really look into that mic. from just doing a quick search i see that its about 500usd? thats a little much if i could find it used for cheaper its a definate possibillity. Is their a big difference in sound from the ntg 3, 2 and 1 ?

Okay, so I know I'm going to catch flak from the sound guys for this, but I'm planning on buying one of the $35 Chinese shotgun mics (you can find them if you search for 14.37 inch shotgun mic on ebay). I've been listening to reviews and they sound decent.
At the moment I'm looking at the Azden SGM-2x/1x.

Who is the reviewer? Do you know their reputation? Are you sure that they aren't a shill for the company? Keep in mind that even if they are a real customer that anything will be a significant improvement over the cameras on-board mic, which is probably all they've ever known.

The budget-priced Azden gear is junk (the same applies to Nady), and what Cameron proposes to buy is probably a lot worse. If you don't mind disposable gear that could crap out in the middle of a shoot go right ahead, it's your money.

I've been saying for months that the H4n has problems, and that the DR-100 has the same issues, although to a lesser degree.

If you use the phantom power from the H4n or the DR-100 you can use the Rode NTG-1 or the Audio Technica AT875. Just be sure to get the battery pack for the DR-100 (I haven't foiund one for the H4n so you'll go through batteries like crazy).

I'm begging you. Don't do it.
Audio is one of the best investments, they aren't like cameras, they hold value and sometimes go up. My Oktava is worth more now than when I got it. Get a good used RODE or whatever from a reputable seller.

No need to get a Senn 416, my RODE NT3 was only $100 and it rocks.

Cameron, you get what you pay for. If you are just a hobbyist and you are making zero budget films for fun with friends there's no need to spend loads but seeing as you have invested in a semi decent recorder I don't think that mic will do it justice.
Remember the great thing about microphones is that they are analogue, formats don't change every year forcing you to replace your mic and the good ones are hardy, simple machines. As such they will last for years, meaning the seemingly large investment you make on your mic will be spread out over many years to come. This also means that used mics are plentiful and a safe buy.

You state that the mic has been reviewed as being better than a rode video mic. The rode video mic is a consumer, (may be wrong but believe tht is an electret mic) mic and that would not do justice to your recorder either. People seem to forget that Rode is a budget brand itself, though a particularly good one. Their best stuff is usable at lower levels but it is not a major brand.

Who is the reviewer? Do you know their reputation? Are you sure that they aren't a shill for the company? Keep in mind that even if they are a real customer that anything will be a significant improvement over the cameras on-board mic, which is probably all they've ever known.

I watched three reviews (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYdjxvNK6fM | http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0Mrx-G-Osc | http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge6cocrPl6g), from three completely different people, one of which has a regular show where he reviews things.

I'm begging you. Don't do it.
Audio is one of the best investments, they aren't like cameras, they hold value and sometimes go up. My Oktava is worth more now than when I got it. Get a good used RODE or whatever from a reputable seller.

No need to get a Senn 416, my RODE NT3 was only $100 and it rocks.

The goal here is to get something cheap I can work with now, so that I can then save up for a really nice mic. The main thing is that I don't want lack of a microphone to hold me back from doing anything. I realize it's not going to sound fantastic, but it'll be a step up from the on-board mic.

Cameron, you get what you pay for. If you are just a hobbyist and you are making zero budget films for fun with friends there's no need to spend loads but seeing as you have invested in a semi decent recorder I don't think that mic will do it justice.

Remember the great thing about microphones is that they are analogue, formats don't change every year forcing you to replace your mic and the good ones are hardy, simple machines. As such they will last for years, meaning the seemingly large investment you make on your mic will be spread out over many years to come. This also means that used mics are plentiful and a safe buy.

You state that the mic has been reviewed as being better than a rode video mic. The rode video mic is a consumer, (may be wrong but believe tht is an electret mic) mic and that would not do justice to your recorder either. People seem to forget that Rode is a budget brand itself, though a particularly good one. Their best stuff is usable at lower levels but it is not a major brand.

At the moment, I'm making no- and ultra-low budget shorts and am about to start on a web series. When I get to the point of filming something more serious (ie, with an actual budget that doesn't consist of the change I can scrounge up from my couch cushions) and/or a feature, then I'll be renting or buying better equipment (or will find a sound person who has their own equipment).

And I realize the VideoMic isn't great, but that's basically at the top of my price range at the moment.

Seriously guys, the other alternative at the moment is figuring out how to boom my Snowball mic...(although, is that possible? I know I can get a shock mount for it...)

(And sorry about hijacking the thread.)

Seriously guys, the other alternative at the moment is figuring out how to boom my Snowball mic...(although, is that possible? I know I can get a shock mount for it...)

I'm assuming you're talking about the Blue Snowball Mic. It'd be possible if you had a computer nearby and a USB extension cable. Wouldn't be all that portable, though.

I have the Rode NTG-2 mic and I love it. If your mixer/camera doesn't supply phantom power, you're in luck because you also have the option of using battery powered phantom power. I've used this mic on a mixer and on a canon vixia a hfs21, and the audio levels seemed great to me.

Don't know about your locale but a used Sennheiser ME66 goes for about £150. From my experience of US prices that should actually be around $150. If you can afford a Rode video mic then you should be able to get a Senny. Runs off batteries too as that is also an electret but a very good one.

If you are interested the film I posted in the screening room 'Follow That Car' was recorded with a camera mounted ME66 plugged into a DR-100.
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=214536#post214536

Last edited:
Don't know about your locale but a used Sennheiser ME66 goes for about £150. From my experience of US prices that should actually be around $150. If you can afford a Rode video mic then you should be able to get a Senny. Runs off batteries too as that is also an electret but a very good one.

If you are interested the film I posted in the screening room 'Follow That Car' was recorded with a camera mounted ME66 plugged into a DR-100.

£150 is almost $250 with exchange rates.

I just watched that...I didnt think that the sound was that good comming from that mic? maby it wasnt boomed? i dont know

ON another note....... i think im going to go for the ntg-1 or the ntg-3 depending on the prices i can find them for becuase they have some really good sound!

£150 is almost $250 with exchange rates.

Yeah, but in my experience things are always cheaper in the US. As a rough guide I often find whatever costs £1 in the UK will be just over $1 in the US

I just watched that...I didnt think that the sound was that good comming from that mic? maby it wasnt boomed? i dont know

ON another note....... i think im going to go for the ntg-1 or the ntg-3 depending on the prices i can find them for becuase they have some really good sound!

You're right, it wasn't boomed. Mic was attached to the top of the camera. It's a fairly wide as shottguns go which wasn't perfect for such a noisy enviroment. Wish I had a better example but all my films so far are either shot in moving cars or clubs. Maybe I should dig out some audio I have recorded for other films.

Last edited:
Yeah, but in my experience things are always cheaper in the US. As a rough guide I often find whatever costs £1 in the UK will be just over $1 in the US

You're right, it wasn't boomed. Mic was attached to the top of the camera. It's a fairly wide as shottguns go which wasn't perfect for such a noisy enviroment. Wish I had a better example but all my films so far are either shot in moving cars or clubs. Maybe I should dig out some audio I have recorded for other films.

I really liked the piece. I thought it was great! I'm a North Londoner as well so it really resonated with me.

Sure, with more money spent on audio it could have been better but it was enough to make your point and create an engaging documentary. I'd love to see your other stuff.

A DR100 and an NTG-2 I think would be enough for me as the Senny's a little hissy for me. But hey, it's a budget issue and getting the balance right between kit, locations and talent is what I am aiming for.

Last edited:
Back