mic questions

hey everyone im new here...just sort of getting into the swing of things. I have about five million questions but ill just start with one.

my style of shooting is sort of guerella film making (no pro lighting, etc.)...mostly because of lack of money and to be honest i wish i had an entire film crew, beautiful lighting and everything as opposed to my crew consisting of me and a couple friends. my current rig consists of a panasonic PV-DV953D mini dv camera, a powerbook g4, final cut, and pro tools.

my question goes like this...i'm a musician which is why i have pro tools. i have an audio technica studio condenser mic that i use for recording vocals and instruments. This mic runs on 48v phantom power. I am interested in getting a mic boom and i was wondering if this mic will work...i have no idea how I would power this mic seeing as i can't carry around a mixer or anything. will this mic work or do i need a new one?

thanks in advance...

Six years later...

I'm hijacking this thread to ask a question... I know it's basic but bare with me, please...

What cable should I ask/search for to connect my Rode NTG-2 to my Zoom H4N? I know it's an XLR cable but what exactly should I ask/search for?

Thanks in advance :)

Six years later...

I'm hijacking this thread to ask a question... I know it's basic but bare with me, please...

What cable should I ask/search for to connect my Rode NTG-2 to my Zoom H4N? I know it's an XLR cable but what exactly should I ask/search for?

Thanks in advance :)

Urm… unless you specifically ask for something different, all XLR cables will have a male connector at one end and a female at the other. A really cheap one won't last well, the most expensive ones probably aren't worth it for you. If the boom operator is also the sound recordist, a 5m cable should do the trick. It might be worth getting a spare cable in case there are any hiccups on set, or you need the extra length for a difficult shot.

Urm… unless you specifically ask for something different, all XLR cables will have a male connector at one end and a female at the other. A really cheap one won't last well, the most expensive ones probably aren't worth it for you. If the boom operator is also the sound recordist, a 5m cable should do the trick. It might be worth getting a spare cable in case there are any hiccups on set, or you need the extra length for a difficult shot.

Thanks! :)

But is it just the length that I need to specify? These male and female connecters you allude to, one will fit into the mic and one into the audio recorder?

Thanks! :)

But is it just the length that I need to specify? These male and female connecters you allude to, one will fit into the mic and one into the audio recorder?

Unless the shop is run by an obsessive-compulsive, yes :) Yep - I remember it by the mantra "f*** the truck", meaning the male end of an XLR cable goes back to the recorder, in the same way that the male end of a power cable goes back to the generator truck.

Back