Metropolis on TCM

Last night they premiered the "almost" complete 2 1/2 hour version of Metropolis. I've seen this numerous times, last night it made complete sense. What a brilliant movie.

Afterward they had a great documentary on finding the lost footage. The most fascinating part (I sure didn't know) was back in the silent days when they were shooting, they'd have numerous cameras lined up shooting for different countries. So, if you saw the US version some takes and angles might be different then the German version. The footage was found in Argentina and that version has extremely different takes. It was cool.

Quite awesome.

I was in contact with the coordinator of the TCM Young Composers competition a while back, and we were discussing how silent films playing in the major cities often had a large team performing sound effects behind the screen. There is a possibility that during the 2011 or 2012 TCM film "tour" they may finally screen a silent film with live orchestra and live sound FX. Metropolis would be a really cool choice.

Quite awesome.

I was in contact with the coordinator of the TCM Young Composers competition a while back, and we were discussing how silent films playing in the major cities often had a large team performing sound effects behind the screen. There is a possibility that during the 2011 or 2012 TCM film "tour" they may finally screen a silent film with live orchestra and live sound FX. Metropolis would be a really cool choice.

Years ago, they had a month long Lon Chaney tribute at the Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria. The Unknown which co-starred a young Joan Crawford had a band playing a specially arranged score for the film. They eventually released it on DVD. If you get a chance check it out, it's absolutely incredible.

Chico Marx was a pianist at a movie house. He couldn't make it one night, he had a date. So Harpo said he'd fill in for him. But, Harpo could only play one song on the piano. It was not a good night for movie goers.

Back