Messing with Cameras Now

I guess I'm going through the camera phase. I bought a nice DSLR to take stills and I didn't even know it could take good video. So now I'm testing it out and making a few shorts. The experience has been pretty cool. It's
hard to believe people like what I've done.

I'm following two fighters (friends of mine) around as they prepare for amateur title fights in April. In my mind this is kind of how I see real martial arts in practice, and I wanted the world to see it. Just wish I was more skilled with video.

https://vimeo.com/album/2308592

I have a few projects in mind but nothing overly ambitious. Just going with the flow for now.

Episode 0 was a complete accident. That was me testing my camera and testing my skills at editing. The coaches liked it so I made it an episode.

Episode 1 was a little more ambitious with the interview and trying to sync audio.

I'm only doing non-commercial stuff right now for fun. This forum looks like the place to be. Thanks for letting me in. I know these video's aren't perfect and I'm open to any criticism.

THANKS

Last edited:
The focus on your subjects is kinda soft a lot of the time. Episode 0 they were both out of focus as they were practicing. Episode 1 the guy you were interviewing had a soft focus as well. Some of the other clips in episode 1 were better though and I liked having the voice of the interview over the clips.

Also the guy you were interviewing I feel could of been in a better spot, the lighting on his face wasn't very good so move him around and find a spot that lights his face a bit better.

The focus on your subjects is kinda soft a lot of the time. Episode 0 they were both out of focus as they were practicing. Episode 1 the guy you were interviewing had a soft focus as well. Some of the other clips in episode 1 were better though and I liked having the voice of the interview over the clips.

Also the guy you were interviewing I feel could of been in a better spot, the lighting on his face wasn't very good so move him around and find a spot that lights his face a bit better.

Thanks for the feedback. What do you mean by "soft"? I'll look in to it but really that's the level I'm at right now, I don't know any jargon at all.

Episode 0 was actually my first try with a video camera. The coaches and fighters agreed to do it so I took my gear up there for a personal training session to test. They liked my rough draft enough that I put it out there as it stood. My original intent was to do one 10-15 minute documentary after their fights, and I may still do that.

I intentionally chose to start out of focus and bring them into focus. It could definitely be cleaner though, I want to get better at doing that. I agree on the lighting. I chose the cage intentionally but a few of the overhead lights have gone out.

Back