• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch 'Men of Convention' short movie

Hello thanks for watching. I prefer black and white for some genres or some types of movie within genres. I think Black and White can be more artistic and cinematic. It is good for creating an atmosphere or unifying an atmosphere of a film, especially if it is a short. I think black and white harmonizes the various elements in the composition of a shot and it unifies the scenes of a movie in a way that colour does not. Its like the absence of colour further isolates the viewer's concentration away from this world into the world you want to take him/her. There is another technical benefit of black and white, if you are using cheap cameras with lower quality optics/lenses and sensors, then the colour problem is greatly reduced and the detail and crispness level is much less of an issue as the black and white or silver screen starts to become a monotone theme of an artist on a canvas. These are some of my main reasons for black and white in general. As for this film and the high tempo feel and atmosphere of mystery, covert operations and communication being gelled together quickly to create the theme of mechanical co-ordination, i thought it the absence of colour added to that. Black and white has a clarity, purity that can help project the idea of organization and proficiency. Black and white also has the cultural and psychological attribute of seriousness, which was part of the aim for this film.

As for the absence of dialogue, then I had little time to shoot and make this whole thing so that is one reason. This is only my 2nd/3rd film. All my films so far have been rushed, having no time, just having a few guys for a couple of hours on two days for this one, everything done by instinct on the day. So this sort of situation doesn't allow for scripts and learning lines etc. Also I think if I can produce decent cinematic, artistic compositions, scenes with symbolism, visual language etc then I can be happy with some aspect of my movie making so I have a foundation for then adding dialogue. I have many dialogue movies in my mind but I lack man power to implement a lot of these things. Also the delivery of lines can ruin a movie and if you are a wanting realism or to keep true to the atmosphere of your movie, then things need to be done properly. At this stage I am happy working on things without speech, but thats mainly because I need enough people willing to speak and give their time etc and I can't pay anyone anything at the moment, just as I can't pay myself anything. Also the details of the speech in this one may have taken away the general meaning of the sequences and would have probably have detracted from the overall style. Also the music was a big part of this and it couldn't of worked with music and speech, one would have harmed the other. I also like these type of movies to be open to interpreation by the viewer, and speech in a film narrows down the meaning and possibilities and isolates the film away from the viewer more. In that way the movies become more like a painting. If you look at the comments on two of my movies on the Virgin Media Shorts website 'Inspired Thought' (another silent film, and without music even) and 'Men of Convention' then you will see people have different things to say about it, and I like that, it means the people are getting more psychologically involved in the visuals and overall theme of the movie.

Back