Meet my DIY Dolly

Say hello to my new DIY dolly..

dollyandtripod.jpg

Details on the build available in the Premiere DIY database..

That is a very neat job wheat.

I don't have the technical skills required to replicate your process but I can stand back and applaud your craftsmanship. When are we going to see demo of what this baby can do?

Looks a lot like mine, except more compact, and a million times more sturdy. Nice work. And, if I'm looking at this right, did you build it so that you can turn it on a round track?

Sweet setup, looks like it should run smooth & quiet there Wheat

One thing I have learned is that once you have acquired your dolly you must maintain it for proper performance.
I rinse my dolly out thoroughly every night just before bed.

OK.. SERIOUSLY Folks

Below is my dolly / grip vehicle / mobile studio as seen in the screencap from my latest project. I also bring along a small skateboard and a 3 wheeled plant dolly along with a bag of rice to sit the camera on

dolly.png

Last edited:
The rollerblade wheel/pvc thing works so well, doesn't it? I've increased the diameter/wall thickness of the PVC I'm using and get smoother shots as the PVC isn't bending as much from the 200-400 pounds I put on it, not sure it'll help you with this light little rig, but PVC is cheap and you may like the results... I also have a pretty cool way to extend your track seamlessly if you're interested ;)

Below is my dolly / grip vehicle / mobile studio as seen in the screencap from my latest project. I also bring along a small skateboard and a 3 wheeled plant dolly along with a bag of rice to sit the camera on

dolly.png

Creative setup! But I have to say, from that perspective it looks like a robot wielding a Minigun about to take that girl out, like something out of Terminator hahaha. Pretty cool!

Creative setup! But I have to say, from that perspective it looks like a robot wielding a Minigun about to take that girl out, like something out of Terminator hahaha. Pretty cool!

Problem is that you need a really smooth surface to roll on. Plus, the amount you'd spend to get a wheelchair is about what you'd spend to build PVC dolly/track like wheat has done.

I also have a pretty cool way to extend your track seamlessly if you're interested ;)

I'm interested! I hate the tiny bump that results from passing over the seams. Please tell.

The rollerblade wheel/pvc thing works so well, doesn't it? I've increased the diameter/wall thickness of the PVC I'm using and get smoother shots as the PVC isn't bending as much from the 200-400 pounds I put on it, not sure it'll help you with this light little rig, but PVC is cheap and you may like the results... I also have a pretty cool way to extend your track seamlessly if you're interested ;)

I've been using hardwood dowels inside to butt-joint the PVC to lengthen track with pretty good test results. What do you have up your sleeve?

Iv seen a wheel chair employed as a highly mobile shooting platform, not as a dolly mind you, but as a way to move the camera and operator into good position very quickly. I think this is where a wheel chair really works. Then again, a few sheets of plywood could get you a pretty good surface to roll on.. 16' track is pretty long tracking shot..

they fit ***SNUGGLY*** ( like with a hammer) inside the track. about 3-4" long, and have a 1/16" slit (like the ends of wooden tinker toys cut into either end - 90 degrees off from each end to make them able to come right to the middle.

Back