• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

mastering a HD verison

We have a film that is almost complete. we were burning the files onto a dvd and they wouldnt play on the dvd player.

Im not sure since its an HD film if the reg 4.7gb dvds will work

A DVD is a standard definition, software based media that has very specific format specifications.

There is always a VIDEO_TS folder and usually, but not necessary AUDIO_TS folder. Inside these folders the MPEG2 files, that are always 720x480 NTSC/720x576 PAL, are encoded into a series of VOB files of no more than 1 gig each.

Authoring a DVD is a specific and universal way that all DVD's are playable without funky formats, etc. For High Definition, the only currently existing format that is universal is now BLU RAY from Sony.

If you are just burning the files onto a DVD, it is very unlikely there is a player that can play that back.

Yep, what sonnyboo said.

You need software that will convert the HD material to DVD. I just finished converting 33 minutes of Apple Codec 422 HD 24p video to MPEG2 60i using Apple Compressor. It took 12 hours!

Yep, I took my files to a "pro" who did the authoring for $100 then burned the Blu Ray copies for $15 each.

Have you tried the Blu Rays on more than just a PS3? I am considering upgrading to a BLU RAY burner, but from what I have seen, the Blue Ray burned discs don't work on 50% of the players out there.

Have you tested them on a bunch of different players?

Have you tried the Blu Rays on more than just a PS3? I am considering upgrading to a BLU RAY burner, but from what I have seen, the Blue Ray burned discs don't work on 50% of the players out there.

Have you tested them on a bunch of different players?

Only tried to play them on a $199 Blu ray player from best Buy that I use with a digital projector when I "exhibit" the film locally at bars, clubs, etc... Haven't had any issues. This guy does that stuff for a living, so the quality of his burner, I don't know, but expect pretty high grade. He had a very nice "suite". That being said, it wasn't a glass master or anything. He just burned a master from my raw files, then used it to make copies, but like I said, I haven't had any issues.

Back