• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Mass conversion of .MOV files

I am working with Canon 5D Mark II and 7D cameras. By default they create .MOV files. I'm using Pinnacle to edit the videos. When I load up any videos they take forever to import. When I work with MPEG files I can work with them in seconds. But the average 12 minute MOV file takes 45 minutes just to load before I can edit them.

Two questions.

Can I convert these files to a more easily editable format without quality loss?

Can anyone recommend a PC application for doing bulk conversions?

I don't care what format they are converted to for working with them. I just need to not waste so much time loading these files for the first time and then having them reload when you make any cuts.

iSkysoft makes a very good video converter. It can do batch processing. I use it to convert .flv files to mp4 all the time.

I've never used this one, but users on the DVXuser forum recommend Mpeg Streamclip.

I use MPEG Streamclip at my post house every day. Though I work in FCP, it's a great conversion tool to make my AVI's into MOV's. My roommate uses Pinnacle and it converted all his MOV's to the format of his choice. MPEG Streamclip is available for both Mac and PC.

http://www.squared5.com/

Back