Marketing and Distribution if Indie Movies.

Before writing anything just READ this

I know there are few posts based on the same topic or may be near to this topic .But this topic is different. Do you know why. over here every one will be giving his /her strategies,Notes,Ideas for marketing and distribution process of movies.All the Gurus and Experts are requested to post their views and details.You can say i want to make this post a small ebook on the topic of Marketing and Distribution if Indie Movies.

i had discussion with few member and they replied to me. Few statments are still waiting for the reply.I want to post those statments too so that we can discuss on it.

First

i said

i think marketing isnt the job of indie filmmaker as it needs a big budget. If i am right then why you said this?and if i am wrong then how can i get finance for marketing???

And clive replied
on this link :http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=71493

we can discuss this reply.

On the other hand he talked about
Know the names of the ten people who are most likely to buy your movie, before you start shooting

and i replied
suppose if i am a young filmmaker making a movie for the first time how can i be sure that thoes ten [or even one] is realy interested in buying my movie when it is my first time??how can somebody trust me?????

can you tell me about it??

can you clear me this issue?

Now what do you people say about it???

he also said
concentrate on marketing and distribution.

Now i want you people to discuss how an indie filmmaker can create its own
Marketing and Distribution Strategy?

you are free to talke about any genre either its comedy, suspence, drama, action , horror..or any other...
Just put out all you creativity and experience over here so that it will become a real gift for indie filmmakers from your side and from www.indietalk.com side. There are some people who have already sold their movies. They can too share their experience over here.

I Hope this will be a very interesting topic. The great GURUS and EXPERTS can feel that they are teaching in an indie filmmaking school to their students [:d]

Last edited:
Distribution

Hi,

Distribution isn't as difficult as it sounds and you don't need a massive budget to do it. A friend of mine, Stuart Urban, has just self distributed his feature, Tovaisch, I Am Not Dead, through the Odeon in the UK. He has done this for less than £10k (GPB).

I did an interview recently with him here - www.academy-film-training.com/pods/stuart_urban.html and he also runs a course covering the in's and out's of self distribution for thearical, DVD, broadcast and other rights here - www.academy-film-training.com/courses.html

Check it out. If you live in the UK you may be able to get 80% off your training on this course.

Best

Wozy

Distribution isn't as difficult as it sounds and you don't need a massive budget to do it. A friend of mine, Stuart Urban, has just self distributed his feature, Tovaisch, I Am Not Dead, through the Odeon in the UK. He has done this for less than £10k (GPB).

Hey, sorry to sound cynical and all... but isn't the money flowing in the wrong direction?

A $20,000 investment to put a film into UK cinemas doesn't sound like a massively prudent distribution strategy to me, for all kinds of reason... but I'd be happy to learn otherwise, if you can show me the other side of the balance sheet, where that $20,000 worth of investment brought in a profit on both production and theatrical costs.

Well academyoffilm

10k pound is abig amount for movie. I am living in pakistan.Here 10k pounds is more then 11 lack rupees........its nearly impoosible for me to make an strategy for such a big amount.infact many filmmkaers would make a classic in such a big amount.am i right Clive??by the i missed you on the forum....how was your trip?????

I had a look at your blog -- here are some thoughts:

1) Blogs are great for personal rants... but, if your aim is to build an audience for your blog then they need high quality information rather than just personal opinion.

2) Spell Checking -- there are loads of free spelling check software options online, get one and use it.

3) Have a look at how I'm approaching the same issue -- 1000dollarfilm.com

Don't worry about the way the page is laid out, because yes I am using more sophisticated magazine blogging software than blogger... what I meant was, have a look at the style and content of the articles.

I do rant on my site... but it's always amusing and there is always useful information included.

Part of the problem with your blog is you are trying to lobby your government to change things. Personally I don't see that happening. It's far better to find ways to take control of your own situation and find ways to make films that don't involve changes in government policy.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot Clive for guiding me..........
so i will try to post more different matter. well next topic is interestinf as far as i think..saying
Earn Maximum from your indie movies.

do you think its an interesting topic?????
just wanted to know your opinion.....

secondly the topic about the government i wanted to say dont you think the topic was good not as a indie filmmaker but as acitizen of Pakistan?

just want to know your opinion

Lots of regards for your advise

A couple of quick thoughts

Write about what you know and don't try to sound like you know more than you do... and article written by someone who is learning is just as valuable as one by an expert, providing the person learning explains their process.

So, it seems to me that you are in a unique position to tell your story, of how you're attempting to make a film in Pakistan... I can't tell that story.

Now, at the moment you don't know enough about the business to write and article about how to make the most money from your film... partly because you haven't made a film and also because everything you know about the business side is second hand.

I can only write about this stuff, because I've taken films to the market... failed and learned from those failures.

One of the problems with this business is there are too many people trying to be experts... when all we really have of value are our personal experiences.

Finally... I've been blogging about film for about four years now. It takes time to find your own voice, your own writing style. I'd concentrate on that for the time being.

Back