Marantz PMD 660 for short films

Any opinions on this machine for short film work?

I've used it for a short film and thought it worked great, I've seen people saying that the preamps are a bit noisy but I honestly didn't notice. Battery life is a bit weak but manageable.

I'm looking to buy one instead of a Tascam dr 40 and Zoom H4n as I can get it for £110 second hand and it seems like a much more professional machine than the other two. I'm most likely gonna be using it with a Rode NTG 2 or a Audio Technica AT875.

I can't really afford to spend more then that to be honest so the pmd661 is out of the question. Are there other better recorders I could get second hand for around £120?

Thanks

If I remember correctly the PMD-660 only records 16bit/44.1kHz. DVD standard is 48kHz, and the extra headroom afforded by 24 bit is very highly recommended.

Another issue is to be sure that when uploading audio from the -660 that the conversion from 44.1kHz to 48kHz is done correctly/properly. If not you may have pitch and/or sync problems.

The preamps of the -660 are on about a par with the H4n, and very prone to hiss if the gain-staging is done improperly. They're still hissy even if you do things right, however.

Personally, I would save up the extra $30 and get the DR-40.

I have one, even Oade Brothers moded. I miss the 24bits and the hiss is still there. The headphone jack is surface mount junk that has busted on me twice...

sounds good and the hiss is easy to clean up.. but still..

Im amazed to see these still selling for $200+

I want the tascam DR-60D.

Back