• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Mantodea

Here's a cute little horror piece I wrote called "Mantodea." I wrote it for a group of student filmmakers in Sydney, Australia. I think they did a decent job. I'd be interested to know what you guys think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZYOGhNVf6I

(I think I remember posting a link in the premium members section a while back, but not here)

I thought the realization of the woman's true motives by the man was a tad forced - finding someone who studies bugs for a living to also have an interest in Praying Mantises doesn't immediately make me freak out. Maybe leading up to that by having her say things related to the praying mantis' nature beforehand and having his character notice them (like during the dinner scene she could have said something along the lines of "You know, Praying Mantises have very exotic tastes, such as frogs and lizards, but I've never understood their fondness for snakes" and then carry on eating, with the man simply passing it off as an odd comment), and then reflect back on them.

I also can't seem to understand why he would become relieved after becoming extremely panicked about the woman's true nature, simply because he left the house. Am I missing something here?

The line where she says "loin fillet (?) from human male, sauteed in butter" could also have done without the human male part - it would have made it much more sinister and less straight forward. The credits music also seemed a bit too up-beat for the sinister tone of the rest of the film, and didn't really fit.

Overall though, it was a very well made and well written short, and I understand it's hard to fit such a story into the space of a 10 minute script. :)

Also, all of those comments on the script are just my personal opinion, feel free to just ignore them, but to me the realization and death scenes were the weakest part of it.

I really enjoyed it. I must have posted my comments in another section of the forum.

It was very generous of you, Adeimantus, to offer the script up for production in the first place. You are a very talented writer.

Hey! I remember reading your script in the screenwriting forum. And there it is on film. How cool is that?!

I think you're right. They did a decent job.

ThatGuy:

Thanks for viewing and for the feedback. I generally agree with your critique. The "relief" prior to his killing has to do with his anxiety over the missing axe. As he exits the house, he sees the axe sitting on the porch, so he's relieved that obviously Shawna doesn't have it.

Steve:

So glad you liked it! And thanks for the Tweet! Muchos gracias, amigo!

richy:

Yeah, seriously! It's great to write something and see it come alive!

best,

-Charles

Back