• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

making your own boom pole

Ive looked online for how to make my own boompole, as its much more logical to make a cheap one instead of paying a million times more for a good one(at least with my budget). They range in price of supplies. Some say it costs 15, some 30. I dont know which ones to try. Any reccomendations? Thank.

There's a bunch of these recipes in the premiere forums... I'll pull mine across for this thread:

me said:
I just got a painter's pole and combined it with my blimp using a male 3/8" flare to female 1/2" pipe fitting adaptor. The 3/8" flare end goes into standard microphone fittings, so can be used with anything you would normally put a microphone on. I disassembled a mike holder I had to create my blimp, so this worked really well. The painters pole is 16ft for $15 and the blimp was < $10. Decent Mike and a wireless transmitter makes a really nice location setup with no cables.

The microphone blimp is constructed from:

plastic or metal (metal lets you bend over the sharp edges) gutter screen (for keeping leaves out of gutters - $1.50 home depot - way more than you'll need)

2 equal lengths wired or zip tied together to make a tube

cut little triangles out around the nose end to round it slightly

rubber bands shot through and held on the outside with chopstix ( - | - | alternating directions on the rubber bands to slide the shotgun mike through)

Cover with costume fur sock (some sewing required) for wind diffusion

attach (I used wire) to a mike holder base (they're cheap at radio shack)

3/8" male flare to 1/2" female pipe adaptor ($1.50 Home depot) forced onto

16' extendable boom pole ($15 Home depot) The aluminum is light and can hold my 8 lb cat up off the ground (they loved when I was testing it).

The rest is just electronics, decent shotgun mic and wireless if you choose (or a really long cable strapped to the pole to eliminate cable noise).

Here are the pix (I've since switched the mic stand for a much lighter and longer painter's pole):

mike1.jpg

mike2.jpg

mike3.jpg

mike4.jpg

I'd just make sure however you craft it, you ensure that it'll be noise-free. You don't want the microphone to pick up a rattle everytime your boom operator moves a millimeter.

That's aided by the rubber bands (I've switched to hair binders - the kind with no metal on them, Goody Ouchless)... but getting little rubber washers and putting them between everything will help alot as well.

so if I followed your instructions on the boompole, would I still have to buy a shockmount? Or can a mic already connect onto it? I'm planning on getting a rode ntg2, by the way. Thanks for all the help!!!

On the master lighting class video included with "Dead Poet's Society" as a BTS feature, the DP dumped about 10-20k of light on the set and the final touch to the lighting setup was a piece of printer paper folded in half and stuck in the book the main character was reading to bounce the light back into his face and fill shadows.

Cheap stuff is done all the time, it's just not as impressive to talk about. I've seen footage of John Ford resting his hat atop the matte box on the camera as a french flag as well.

Yes, you can get away with using cheap stuff, it's just not the prefered method of getting what you need.

Back