making dv look better

i recently saw the anniversary party and the finished movie looks way better than the stuff they show in the extra features. i was wondering how do you clean up dv and make it look glossy? thanks in advance.

raf

Premiere 6.0

I was fortunate enough to have access, until recently, to an edit bay that featured Adobe Premiere 6.0. That software has a couple of techniques that can be used to make DV look more like film. 1) Deinterlace Frames - allows you to clean up the frames, but you can still tell it's DV. 2) Flicker Removal - primarily used for taking the "flicker" out of slo-moed shots, it can also be used on normal speed shots with an end result that mimicks film. The problem is that if the video is even slightly "hot", a whole lot of pixel glitches can appear. If you have a dark film, this technique is great, and it really looks a lot like film.

Other than that, I don't have a lot of info. Plus, you might be able to find out some more stuff about these techniques that I don't know.

A friend of mine uses Adobe After Effects, and he says that he can make DV look like 35 mm. Unfortunately, I've never seen this done.

Hope this helps.

Poke

I use After Effects for my "film look" but I must admit I started out with a DVX100 which looks more like film from scratch than anything else.

But in AE, you can work an image just like you do in photoshop, adjusting curves, gamma, adding multilayers for differences in luminosity, etc. It works great, once you get it and play around I think you'll be able to do it easily in AE.

Comment... you thought the Anniversary Party looked good? Man I thought it looked like crap, even on my TV ( I saw it one night on HBO) My movie right now at least to me looks better than that, and they had more expensive cameras! I'm not trying to brag, cause the nightly news can still blow me away in saturation and sharpness. hahaha

pika

DV = film?

We've gotten good results by deinterlacing and adjusting the gamma to make the black colors true black. Color correction will help a lot, too (not sure if Premier has this, but Final Cut Pro 3 does). Also, we tend to adjust the image quality a little bit, actually making it lower quality, to give it the "grain" feel of film. That's just what I've learned from my friend who edits our film... I'm not an editor by trade, so I'm sorry I can't be more specific.

- Mike.

hmmm

yes deinterlacing will help you achieve the film look.
I also read somewhere about copying your frames and lowering the opacity in one copy and then layering the two together.
Never tried it but if anyone has let me know what you found.

Re: hmmm

malinusmaximus said:
yes deinterlacing will help you achieve the film look.
I also read somewhere about copying your frames and lowering the opacity in one copy and then layering the two together.
Never tried it but if anyone has let me know what you found.
I cant wait until people are so used to seing HD that we wont hae to worry about film look.

Back