• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Making Drafts

Hello everyone,

I think this is most likely the textbook definition of a noob question, but regardless, I am 106 pages into my screenplay and unfamiliar with the nature of drafting, and therefore I feel that I should ask.

So as I said, I am 106 pages into my first draft, and I'm estimating that the final shape of this particular draft will come out to be about 130-140 pages (too long, especially since I was going for around 90 originally).

But I've heard various things about drafting that I need clarification on - what are drafts, anyway? I've heard that it's, after you complete your first one, going back to the blank page and re-writing the whole thing again top-to-bottom to where you have basically written another version of the original, which then becomes your second draft, and then you keep doing this over and over and over again until you have the best version, and then you edit/revise, etc.

But I've had others tell me that it's where you simply take the original first draft and just use the backspace key a lot - just polishing it, really. Just reviewing it over and going back and taking things out and writing new things in.

So I'm a little confused on the first thing that I will have to do once I do finally finish this first draft. Thank you.

Drafts are basically just what you've outlined; take the original story and fine-tune or rewrite it. And you're right to focus on finishing it entirely before doing too much rewriting, or you'll find yourself continually rewriting and never finishing. Once it's done, and you go back to start tweaking, it's a new draft.

I've done both of the examples you gave actually. Not with a feature, but the shorts we do. Normally, for the sake of time and the fact that you're probably keeping the majority, it's easier to select/delete the sections that are to be removed or heavily edited and retype them.

The times when I've started over when it was just the basic story concept that I liked.

Whatever works for you!

CraigL

Drafts are basically just what you've outlined; take the original story and fine-tune or rewrite it. And you're right to focus on finishing it entirely before doing too much rewriting, or you'll find yourself continually rewriting and never finishing. Once it's done, and you go back to start tweaking, it's a new draft.

I've done both of the examples you gave actually. Not with a feature, but the shorts we do. Normally, for the sake of time and the fact that you're probably keeping the majority, it's easier to select/delete the sections that are to be removed or heavily edited and retype them.

The times when I've started over when it was just the basic story concept that I liked.

Whatever works for you!

CraigL

Thanks! I'm glad your response was more into the "backspace" one than the complete re-write one, seeing as how I have a lot of material in this one that I'd like to keep, and that it really does seem quite grueling to just go and re-write the ENTIRE thing.

My experience with shorts is that when I get to my later drafts I get to a stage of "trimming the fat" so there is still room for your page count to change drastically in the drafting process. So don't let your current page count worry you.

Just another voice to the chorus.

Keep writing at this point. When you finish, that will be your first draft.

Then you can go back and revise.

I will add though, and maybe some will disagree, that if you really think you are going to be running long at this point, there are a few things you can do while still writing this first draft.

Since you seem to know where your page count is approximately going to come out, it sounds like you have a good idea of where your story is going and how you need to get there.

So, from this point forward, start thinking about two things.

Scene and action description: How can I write these in the most economical way possible.

Dialogue: How can people say things with the fewest words and lines.

When you enter into writing each scene, ask yourself those questions.

In other words, if you already know your script is running long, at least this end part might end up being a bit leaner before you start your rewrite.

All great advice from other posters.

I rewrite all my scripts. Some get a polish (minor work). Some get a large rewrite including new scenes, removal of some existing scenes, improvements to dialogue and descriptions. One of my scripts has had 3+ major overhauls - done progressively over a 2-3 year period. Many pros say: writing is rewriting.

100% try to keep your script to a max of 110 pages.

The pros can get away with 120, 130 page scripts - non-pros can't.

Great advice from ahennessey.

You should find these articles very helpful:

Keep Descriptions Brief and Tight
http://reelauthors.com/script-analysis-coverage/keep-descriptions-brief-and-tight.php

Screenwriting is Not Novel Writing
http://reelauthors.com/script-analysis-coverage/screenwriting-is-not-novel-writing.php

Size matters: Keep to 95-110 Pages For Spec Screenplays
http://reelauthors.com/script-analysis-coverage/size-matters-keep-within-95-to-110-pages.php

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the great advice - and yeah, I'm definitely going to trim that page count down. I've just made up my mind that the best thing to do right now is to just get everything that's in my head down on paper, without any sort of thought to how messy it is, and then just going back and cleaning it all up.

(Sorry its rather long).

Everything you put down on script is a product of your imagination. Although inspired by real world events, events in a script are manipulated by the writer to the interest of your story.
This may lead to a non-linear, and unnatural flow of events in such a way that may "break" your narrative.

-You could have characters behaving rather odd other than themselves in your story.
-You could contradict yourself.
-You could have a character cover an entire 3 hour journey during a 10 minute conversation elsewhere.
-Or you could have a better idea than what you put down.
-Or may be an entire scene would change nothing if omitted.
-You surely made spelling errors.
-Your friend who has read the script thinks that it is still too long and he does not know whats going on in a particular scene.
-May be your producer would like the movie more with a little bit of car chasing (He is looking at what would make him more money).

Your first draft is always a story that you should always let flow at free range.

Further down into the hierarchy, Omit dialogues, Actions, scenes that add little your plot, and consider others' views.

In everything that you will ever do on earth, there is no such thing as getting it perfect the first time.

All great suggestions. Finish the first one before you do anything! In working with directors and production studios, the script often changes in process of going from spec to shooting. So keeping it tight is a big plus. When you're shooting it yourself, you can get away with being a bit verbose. But if your goal is to sell/option it, keeping it to 90-110 is ideal depending on the story.

To help guide you in your revision, there are three areas to watch for:
1. verbose action/description lines
2. dialogue
3. scenes that are cute but not essential to the story

These are in order of easiest to fix. Below are guides and suggestions, not rules!

1. Keep action and descriptions to a minimum in the script; 1-3 lines is ideal.
Code:
Example:

EXT.  CABIN IN MONTANA - DAY

JOE, a young college kid with windblown blond hair in cutoff 
jeans, is looking out from the peak and surveying the pine 
ridged mountain peaks surrounded by marshmallow clouds.  
The sun is shining down and casting a moving panorama of 
shadows from the high clouds overhead.
[COLOR="Blue"]Nice for the creative writing class, bad for a screenplay.[/COLOR]

EXT.  CABIN IN MONTANA - DAY

JOE (20s) stands on a cliff edge in shorts and surveys the 
pine ridged mountain peaks.  Shadows, cast by clouds,  move
about him.
Remember that a lot of creative people will take the script and re-interpret it for costuming, location, etc. If it's not integral to the story, weigh how important the detail is. How do you show someone he's a college student? If it's imperative, you could put him in college apparel. The actor may end up being brunette. I also made sure to make the verbs active rather than progressive ("am/is/are X-ing").

2. Dialogue is more tricky. It's important to understand that how we talk normally is HIGHLY repetitive. By observation, scientists have found that nearly 70% or so of what is said is filler. This seems to have an inflation effect on screen. So avoid saying what can be shown or is seen happening. Don't use dialogue to explain your story! Especially relying on lots of voiceover or narration. Don't spend more than two lines on everyday small talk. Get to the meat quickly. And avoid having characters repeat what the audience has seen. [NB: I'm not using proper format here to conserve space.]
Code:
Example:
    JEAN:  Oh hi, Phil.  How are you today?
    PHIL:  I'm good.  And you?
    JEAN:  Can't complain.
Jean's dog takes a dump on the neighbor's lawn.
    PHIL:  Oops, looks like Mr. Whiskers just took a dump.
    JEAN:  Yeah.  And I forgot my doggie bags. ... Again!
    PHIL:  You heard about someone breaking in to Martin's house.
    JEAN:  Are you serious?  When did it happen?
    PHIL:  Thursday night around 7:30 pm, I heard.
    JEAN:  Anyone hurt?
    PHIL:  No.  Everyone was at Bingo at St. John's.  You know,
               the Catholic church behind the grocery story on 3rd.
    JEAN:  Oh, yeah.  I know that one.  Anything valuable taken?
[COLOR="blue"]Very nice and chatty, but not for a script where space = screen time[/COLOR]

Rather:
    JEAN:  Oh hi, Phil.  How are you today?
    PHIL:  I'm good. 
Jean's dog takes a dump on the neighbor's lawn.
    JEAN:  And I forgot Mr. Whisker's doggie bags. ... Again!
    PHIL:  You heard about someone breaking in to Martin's house
               Thursday night?
    JEAN:  Anyone hurt?
    PHIL:  Steve said they stole cash and electronics while they
               were out playing bingo at St. John's.
As a general rule, don't use "yes" or "no" in dialogue. For important story points, I piggybacked them on other dialogue. If this is a mystery, St. John's might be important if not previously introduced. Here I included it. The audience really could care less about where St. John's is located. Be selective about what is told. With a light juggling, we reduced eleven lines to six.

3. Removing scenes. Here's where it gets painful. We all have our favorite scenes/dialogue. It hurts to cut them out. Some scenes add depth to the characters but aren't integral to the story. One trick that can sometimes help, after you've done the above two steps, is to make a copy of your file. Now delete ALL of the dialogue. You are just left with the visual description of your story. It should tell the story. If you read a scene that now seems out of place, remove it in this duplicate. You're honing the visual story now. Make yet another copy of your original and delete the corresponding scenes. If you're using a software program that numbers your scenes (ordinarily you don't use that in a spec but it's helpful for revisions), you can immediately cut the proper scenes. HOWEVER, if you're using CeltX, work backwards from the end. CeltX renumbers scenes dynamically if you work from the front, you'll change all the numbers that follow leading to some rather unpleasant editing surprises if you're not careful!

Having done the deletions, you now need to go back and do "plot damage control". Make sure that the removal doesn't ripple forward or backward.

After going through these three steps, you now have to re-evaluate your script. Is there a better, easier, more clever way of getting from point A to B? This is not a total re-write but may require significant changes. As such, I always number my drafts so I can refer back to earlier versions--SCRIPT_DD_RR where DD= draft number and RR=revision number. For me, a draft is a significant change in material. A revision is a version with minor corrections (spelling, grammar, etc.). I haven't had any script draft break into the double digits yet. Maybe if you add in revisions.

Hopefully these hints will help you go back through your script and identify ways to pare it back in your rewriting/revising. Good luck!

Last edited:
Back