• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Make this video footage look like film.

I'd like to ask indietalk community to make the video footage in the link below to look like film and share their setup, settings, options, filters and so on to get a particular look.

www.bizler.org/archive/test.zip

I seem to get a nice result reducing saturation and adding Soft Contrast, but it looks more as "music video" style than film-style.

You can use After Effects or a similar composite program to change the frame rate from 30fps to 24 fps. If you use After Effcts and want a tutorial showing how to do this, check out videocopilot.net

Starting with a frame grab from late in the image, Looking at my video scopes in Final cut that it's quite heavily underexposed. This will make color correction a problem from the get go as there's a limited color space to work in and this is limited even more... that said...

Here's the frame I'm working with:
Picture 5.jpg

Applying a simple 3-way color corrector and my 'scopes, I've done this (scopes to the right, 3-way to the left - note the drastic change in the hilight slider):
Picture 1.jpg
My approach here was to get the highlights to touch the 100% line (although the reds were really skewed in this due to a white balance issue - so I used their top to act as the representative 100%) - I eyeballed to get the highlights colored correctly. I pulled them away from warm as the whole image was a bit jaundiced (yellow/red)

Mids contain the flesh tones, so I pushed those toward a fleshier tone (orangish - I always just follow the "Flesh Line" in the corrector) - although the color scope shows that there's more of a red overtone to the whole shot - If spending more time, I'd crop the shot to just flesh and adjust the mids using that, then stretch the crop back out to full. I then raised the mids a bit to stretch out the blacks - I feel crushing the blacks gets you more of a graded film look rather than an actual film look which the cinematographer will have gone to great troubles to preserve the darks as, chemically, the whites are easier to control in film.

I darkened the blacks to get them to touch the 0% line and pushed them toward blue (away from the flesh line) to separate the color space a bit.

More time spent on the cc will get you stronger results, but this is a pretty standard quick correction for me.

You're shooting video, so the motion will look like video, more attention to lighting and exposure will take you farther than trying to wrangle the video motion artifacts under control... slow down your pans and actor's movements to hide them. I'll reiterate what you'll find my attitude is so many times on this board and many others, the film look is best left to film. Spend the time and attention to get really good video into your editing system. From a camera perspective, this means -- Lighting, White Balance, Exposure, Framing, Motion. Outside the camera is where the magic happens, costume, makeup, set design, use of space (this shot is really cramped), choice of actor, sound (this informs the viewer what to look for and wether or not to pay attention at all in some cases)... so many other elements exist outside the camera. Search here for "film look" and you'll find several full diatribes from me and others.

Here's more time spent with it...
pulled down the mids a bit more to darken the image as starting with a narrowly exposed, flatly lit image makes grading more difficult as the 3 exposure ranges of the 3-way corrector have nothing definitive to push around. I added a slight unsharp mask to get the detail to pop a bit more. and then desaturated to lows and highs slightly to make them look less color washed - this time around, I used the reds top and bottom range as a suggestion rather than trying to preserve the detail in it - and I added some saturation overall:
Picture 2.jpg

Last edited:
Back