legal make a short film based on a true story

Hey guys,

I'm Charles from France and I'm currently working on writing two short films that are close to my heart.
Both are inspired by real events. In the first case I don't really think I have a problem because it's a family affair but in the second, a book has been written and I know that Monarch Media bought the rights.

So my question is as follows : Can I make a short film freely and with the only purpose of participating in festivals and not really making money with it ; where I absolutely have to hold the rights ?

Many thanks !

Charles

So my question is as follows : Can I make a short film freely and with the only purpose of participating in festivals and not really making money with it ;
No - not legally.

Could you do it and go under the radar and avoid detection? Probably. But making money on it isn't the issue in terms of legality.

Consider taking the concept as the starting point and writing a fictionalized version.

Ok thanks
`
I think I could do that. I'm in France and all... far away from big studios etc. but ... kind of waste of time to making a project and conscientiously keeping it under the radar ahah

Back