Magix Vegas Pro 15

In inI read another reviewer complain about it being slow on an i7 dual core processor with 8 Gigs of ram. I got it at a discount direct from the manufacturer. So far, it runs smooth and fast on my quad core i7 HP Omen laptop with 16 Gigs of ram. Here is a more comprehensive review. I like the included Cineform and ProRes that my older version didn't have. It comes with bundled software plugins from New Blue, HitFilm, and Boris. New Blue Titler Pro 5 is among the new plugins. It automatically integrated itself with Sound Forge for seemless audio editing and besides Premiere Pro compatibility, it is Final Cut Pro compatible. It also upgraded DVD Architect to a newer version. From what I can see, it have AVID ProTools and compatibility as well.

https://www.thepcmr.com/2017/09/19/vegas-15/

Last edited:
I downloaded the trial when it came out and found it didn't run as well as Vegas 13, which was the last version I had installed on my system. I7 latptop with 8 gigs ram. I was hoping, really hoping it would run great and give me incentive to switch back from Avid (I used Vegas for nine years as my only NLE - Version 4-9, cut three features and countless shorts) but the lackluster performance I experienced gave me no reason to change up my current workflow :(

Last edited:
I used Sony Vegas Pro 8 from 2008 through 2012 to edit a feature film as well as my unfinished short film. Biggest problem with version 8 was it wants to be both an editing program as well as a compositing program. It didn't have the resources to do both. I ran it on a dual core 2 laptop with 3 Gigs of memory on a Sony Laptop. The best solution to get my short as far as I did was to use Adobe Premiere Elements to the editing program and Vegas Pro as the compositing program to stop the freeze ups and crashes. That worked out.

I would suggest to anyone interested in even trying the demo of Vegas Pro 15 to run it on a quad core processor computer with 16 Gigs of RAM. I have the full version suite and it eats up 9 Gigs of hard drive space. So, if you have a laptop with a small SSD drive, be warned. MS Office eats up another 8 Gigs of hard drive space and so on. That's why I optioned to get my laptop with a 2 TB hard drive.

I have also notice some 1080p video files may play smooth on my i7 quad core HP Omen and quad core i5 iMac with 8 Gigs, but my Windows 8 Desktop with a dual core G2020 with 8 Gigs of RAM has choppy playback at the beginning of files. Namely, the book trailer video files.

Conclusion: Dual Cores are yesterday's editing computers. I suspect more software in the future will be coming out like Magix Vegas Pro that dual core computers can handle less and less. Quad Cores seem to get by with the new software. The new 18 cores and i9s will be needed for future software down the road.

Last edited:

Conclusion: Dual Cores are yesterday's editing computers. I suspect more software in the future will be coming out like Magix Vegas Pro that dual core computers can handle less and less. Quad Cores seem to get by with the new software. The new 18 cores and i9s will be needed for future software down the road.

Dual Cores have been the day before yesterday's editing computers for a while now :P

Dual Cores have been the day before yesterday's editing computers for a while now :P

Agreed!

Interesting to note, last year's investment in HitFilm Pro 2017 is worth the money. As much as the company markets it for both editing and composite software, their tutorials are always on visual effects and creating custom titles. And, it's great for that. It is weak in editing because too many workarounds have to be employed for missing editing tools. I find Adobe Premiere Elements in the Expert mode is a very good editing program with lots of flexibility for editing allowing users considerable control of what they edit. Vegas Movie Studio in expect mode is also very good. The only thing missing in both is Cineform. The Prores in Vegas Pro 15 has virtually any professional format an editor would want. If there is a need for a project heavy on both visual effects and editing, HitFilm Pro with a separate editing program like Vegas Pro are ideal. HitFilm Pro also comes with Cineform integrated in it.

HitFilm's Ignite Vfx pack is accessible in all of the editing programs I have both on the Mac and Windows platforms.

Last edited:
Back