Mac or PC question soon to be redundent?

You've probably already heard about this, but I've been away from the forum for a bit I couldn't see if this had mentioned.

If you are thinking of getting a new machine in the near future (especially a Mac) you may wish to wait.

I was going to buy a new Mac, but a PC guy I know said I should wait until Apple go over to Intell Processors as it is 'likely' that as well as being better machines it's possible that they may have the ability to be 'booted up' to run on either OSX or Windows operating systems. Two machines for the price of one.

Just something to think about. If anyone knows anything more 'concrete' about this subject I'd be happy to hear. Apple seem to be very quiet about it (especially on their site) they probably don't want to effect current sales.
Steven

Last edited:
The new Intel-based Macs will run Microsoft Vista, but they have OS X locked down the the proprietary hardware they sell.

I've read news on other www sites that people have hacked this and can get OS X to run on any Intel-based PC, but Apple will hate you for it.

I'm going to wait for a while until the PowerMacs go Intel (Apple claims Summer 2007). We'll hopefully be seeing dual core dual Xeons (Ooh, 4 procs!). maybe then I'll buy my first Mac and FCP.

mrde50 said:
I'm going to wait for a while until the PowerMacs go Intel (Apple claims Summer 2007). We'll hopefully be seeing dual core dual Xeons (Ooh, 4 procs!). maybe then I'll buy my first Mac and FCP.

Apple already has a dual core dual G5 PowerMac out right now, but it's still the PowerPC core.

I would wait to buy an intel mac as well, just until they get all the bugs ironed out. I was hoping this announcement would lower the price of the PowerPC line, but it appears Apple has other plains. I don't understand, if the intel core is SOOOO much better and faster, why they wouldn't lower the price of the old PowerPC line since it's now "obsolete?" It makes me think that they don't feel their customers are comfortable with the switch yet, and in turn, they aren't either. They either need to stop selling the old ones, or their slash prices to get rid of them. They need to move forward with this new technology, not confuse customers as to which core is better.

The camps are very split, this will remain a transition until they are ready to roll out the big guns...the laptop has been languishing and compained about online the most of any of their hardware for its lack of advancement. The iMac is based on laptop technology, so its change isn't that surprising. The people who buy the higher end units will be musicians, artists and scientists, it doesn't surprise me that they are holding off on this abit until they can guarantee that their foray into untested water doesn't fall flat on its face.

Support calls will go like this:

Microsoft: What are you running windows XP on? Call Apple...
Apple: Can't see the apple menu? Windows? Call Microsoft...
Microsoft: Have you reinstalled windows?

You will probably end up missing drivers for some of the OEM hardware that apple puts in their boxen: Video cards, DVD Burners, etc. I'd love to see it work, due to the fact that the Mac OS disk in the desk drawer will call to the windows users saying, "Try me out..."

See! I told you so:

knightly said:
I'd wait until the machines are released...I'm sure they won't intend to be used that way, but someone will figure out how. Either way it will be good for apple - They are a hardware company, they don't make much profit with software, it's there to serve the sales of hardware where they make their money. This has always been the case with apple and will continue to be so into the forseeable future. They compete with dell for market share, not microsoft.

I can see this being useful if you don't already have an XP machine. My problem is that I use all of my computers basically simultaneously, so dual-booting isn't much use unfortunately.

CommanderGoat said:
Wow. Check this out...

Boot Camp

I really didn't expect the support from Apple to dual boot, but this is awesome.

This is brilliant! Just what I was hoping would happen.

So whilst Apple have been publicly 'not encouraging' Windows use on Mac or dual booting, they had this up their sleeve all the time?

Well it's done the trick for me, as soon as the new intel towers are up to speed I'm getting one, and I know two Windows users who have been waiting for an excuss to buy a Mac. So that's three new sales anyway.

Steven

but, if Virtual PC is rewritten by MS to run natively on the intel chip with what will invariably be an industry standard video card, the mac/pc thing may just go away...especially if they treat it the way they have done with integrating the interfaces for xWindows and Classic OS9 apps. There are differences in how both of those environments behave compared to Aqua (the windowing environment in OSX). Doing the same thing for windows apps, especially games, will go a long way toward making the rift close...

--Insert cost argument here--

Me too, that would be nice...after being an Apple support guy in several companies that were openly hostile toward Mac users. Not just a bias thing...I was specifically hired by them to support their macintoshes that they already had. Whenever the PC guy asked for parts or replacement machines, he got them...whenever I did, I had to play politics to get what I needed, and I asked for tons less (picking battles).

Back