• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Mac Mini and HD editing...

Hey, I'd apreciate some help; every time I try to render my short movie in Sony Vegas Pro 8.0, this message pops up: "An error has occurred." And something about an exception. The details don't make any sense either. I just changed my RAM to 2.0 GB and my video card is a NVIDIA PCI Express 370. 2.19 gHz. AMD Athlon 64 Processor. It's a Compaq Presario, not recent. 2005ish. I don't know what to do about this. It rendered fine when I edited my trailers. But when I try to render the entire short film -- it fucks up. It's only six tracks. Maybe 'cause it's 40 minutes, and not 3 minutes? I just moved all of the clips into one folder -- nothing. They were all m2t files, but since my PC sucks to be editing in full HD, I downconverted all of it to MPEG.

I just uninstalled Vegas; reinstalled. Same old shit. I don't get it. Quite frankly, I am pissed 'cause I worked hard on my short movie.

Would a MAC MINI do the job for HD editing? I've got a Canon HV30, and I've been using Sony Vegas on PC. It's cool, done editing my 40 min short movie, but it won't RENDER. Period. It just crashes. So I'm thinking about getting a Mac, but I am broke. So I was wondering if a Mac Mini would do the job...

The trailer to my short film --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJfVs1TDEm0

Would a MAC MINI do the job for HD editing? I've got a Canon HV30, and I've been using Sony Vegas on PC. It's cool, done editing my 40 min short movie, but it won't RENDER. Period. It just crashes. So I'm thinking about getting a Mac, but I am broke. So I was wondering if a Mac Mini would do the job...
Yes. Get one that has at least 1GB RAM (2 is better) and
the Mac Mini running FCP will do the job.

As Rick said, a Mac Mini will do the job, but it won't have a dedicated video card, so you'll be limited when it comes to applications that require a dedicated GPU. I would seriously consider a thorough diagnostic on your old machine before you spend $700 on a new computer and $150 on Final Cut Express. That's just getting your foot in the door, although it would work ok for editing.

Back