M-O-N-E-Y!

Hey everyone,

How's everybody been doing? Hopefully busy and very productive. Now that I've gotten the brief salutations out of the way, now you know me, here comes my questions. Does anyone have any advice on how to make money in order to fund your project? I know this is a pretty broad question but I know that everyone on here has dealt with the issue of just started out so people do not know you so therefore you must prove yourself. Now, I have started my prodco and am in the process of producing a stage play production in the summer. In order for me to rent the theater, pay the actors, pay for marketing, etc., its going to cost money. Can anyone lend me some suggestions to making some money so that I will not have to look for investors?

Thanks in advance,

Triple threat

I've paid everything out of pocket so far...either myself buying equipment or other crew members buying into competitions etc. I don't think that it's a fundraising technique for everyone though. I was in a good financial position at the time.

You are going to find that at this point you are going to be paying alot out of pocket.

That being said, what you need to consider is asking for donations or trades. You need a theater? Ask if they can donate the use of their theater. You don't intend to destroy it do you? Ask. Nicely. Remember, they don't have to do it, make sure they know how appreciative you are. Thank them. Often.

You're paying your actors? Lucky you! Don't you know any actors who could use the exposure? Who would do this because they need the work? I could be wrong but, No big name, no draw, so what are these paid actors bringing to the table?

Okay, now...all that being said, you need a GRANT.
Go to Google: funding for filmmakers; funding for new filmmakers; funding for minority filmmakers; funding for women filmmakers; etc...

A grant is an investor that doesn't expect anything back from the final product, except a token percentage, usually less than 5-7%. This will take awhile, so expect to constantly be looking.

Come up with some creative ways to raise money, they don't have to be conventional, they just have to work.

Beyond that, well, sell some chicken dinners....:D ...I'm not kidding.....

-- spinner :cool:

So far, everything I've invested is out of pocket. I'm still putting myself through training. Once I have completed my self-paced learning and have a decent demo reel, then I will use that to find potential investors and in-kind donations. My final exam will be a funded 35mm short film project. This may take a few years (or more), though.

Last edited:
Bake sale? Car wash?

I'm actually not joking with those.

Also, since you are doing a stage show -- you should/will have a program for the show. Sell advertising space in your program. Also ask some companies if they will be willing to donate or loan certain equipment for the show in exchange for a sponsor acknowledgement. Offer to give them a special place in the program and a thank you mention at the beginning of the show. For example, check with a music store about mics, PA equip (if needed). Check with a hardware store for lumber or tools for building the set. Be prepared to let them know how you plan to market the show and what level of attendence you expect to draw. They will want to know these things and will be more inclined to offer you something if you act like you know what you're talking about and have you sh!t together.

Sell bodily fluids? Plasma center donations of your blood liquids, I think you can make $200+/month. Robert Rodriguez funded his first film El Mariachi by being part of a drug study, wrote the screenplay on index cards while in the drug study. :D

Hey everyone, How's everybody been doing? Hopefully busy and very productive. Now that I've gotten the brief salutations out of the way, now you know me, here comes my questions. Does anyone have any advice on how to make money in order to fund your project? ...

Thanx

Hey everyone,

Thanx so much for all of the wonderful advice! John, you are so right on because I am going to have programs that businesses can buy some advertising from. Also, thanx for giving me that edge to go out and ASK, ASK, ASK! Spinner, thank you and I am the type of person that always says thank you, (maybe a little too much) so I will definitely use all of your brilliant advice. I would have never thought to go to these places and ask them to donate things...ESPECIALLY THE USE OF THE THEATER! Wow, I really am an amateur :) Thank you guys so much and I will keep you updated as to how much FREE STUFF that I got! Oh, and by the way John, I will definitely have my stuff together :)

Yours truly,

Triple threat

Back