• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

LUTS for desert southwest

I live in Utah and frequent the desert area a lot and am looking for recommendations for LUTS that are most appropriate for desert conditions and work within Premiere Pro CC. I should mention that I'm new to video but have been a still photographer for a long time. As a photog I've used Photoshop and Lightroom as well as a few other editing programs but Premiere Pro is new to me and I'm just beginning the learning curve. Fortunately as a PS user I'm somewhat familiar with the Adobe way.

My current camera kit includes the following: Nikon D800E, Nikon D7200, Panasonic GH2, Zenmuse X5 (DJI Inspire 1 drone). In addition to the bodies I have a pretty decent selection of good glass ranging from quite wide to very telephoto. I am planning to upgrade my GH2 but not until the GH5 and along with the X5 expect to do a fair amount of 4K video.

So, since my environment is mostly the high southwest desert, but certainly not limited to the high desert, the LUTS that do well with such conditions and are usable within APP would be desirable. I should also mention that at present I only plan to use Premiere Pro and not SpeedGrade or AfterEffects, but that I may go the full CC suite at some point. So any recommendations should be APP specific.

Lastly, although making a full on film is in the back of my mind my short term ambitions are far more limited and mostly aimed at making shorts for Youtube and Vimeo. As I gain experience I may expand my goals, but I figure to take this a step at a time.

Many thanks,

Brian

I work exclusively in the southwest deserts of Nevada.

Bearing in mind that I am always going for a more venerable cinematic look I shoot (Canon 5D MKiii) with the Technicolor Cinestyle profile and then, IN POST, utilize a 2 LUT process from Look Labs. All of which is intuitive, integrated and native to Premiere Pro CC. Happy to expand on this if it seems on point to you.

I work exclusively in the southwest deserts of Nevada.

Bearing in mind that I am always going for a more venerable cinematic look I shoot (Canon 5D MKiii) with the Technicolor Cinestyle profile and then, IN POST, utilize a 2 LUT process from Look Labs. All of which is intuitive, integrated and native to Premiere Pro CC. Happy to expand on this if it seems on point to you.

Thanks for the reply...

I checked out there website and I see two products listed: SppedLooks Studio Log and Studio Linear -- which one are you referring to?

Again, thanks...

Brian

Thanks for the reply...

I checked out there website and I see two products listed: SppedLooks Studio Log and Studio Linear -- which one are you referring to?

Again, thanks...

Brian

As they describe it's the 2 step process as I mentioned. (Log). Linear is a single LUT, aka the workflow you would be used to more traditionally.

This LUT takes your footage into a log space on the front end and then on the backend applies a second LUT that takes it to a film stock.

What this means is you actually do all of your color grading inbetween the two LUTs. Think of it this way... you still "color grade" film stock - so you would naturally behave exactly the same here.

Now please note my first post - I am specifically going for filmic and classic.... so I wasn't gearing specifically for desert - it just happens whenever I try to emulate film it is in the same desert you speak of, and I happen to think it turns out fantastico with this process. YMMV.

Back