Low power generator?

So I was thinking it'd be cool if I had a small generator that could power just 2 or 3 standard house globes for when you're on location and need a cheaper and more portable solution for some fill light or something.

I've searched different things like low wattage generator, 500w (and smaller) generator, and I don't really seem to be hitting anything. Even a battery which could allow an AC power outlet, possibly having enough for 2 or 3 hours would be great.

Anybody come across anything of this description?

Generators produce a ton of noise, and the two times I've seen them being used on set, they're waaaay in the distance, and there are long cables that bring the power over, because forget recording sound, it's so loud you can't communicate without shouting.

You could use a UPS system though. They don't produce electricity, they just hold it on capacitors so they're virtually sound-less. I know that in parts of the world that have scheduled power outages, they can be as strong as to power the entire house for hours, and produce at best, a soft buzz. 500w is going to be quieter than any ambient sound on location.

Amazon's got a bunch.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-SM...=UTF8&qid=1423539583&sr=8-2&keywords=500w+ups

Generators produce a ton of noise, and the two times I've seen them being used on set, they're waaaay in the distance, and there are long cables that bring the power over, because forget recording sound, it's so loud you can't communicate without shouting.

You could use a UPS system though. They don't produce electricity, they just hold it on capacitors so they're virtually sound-less. I know that in parts of the world that have scheduled power outages, they can be as strong as to power the entire house for hours, and produce at best, a soft buzz. 500w is going to be quieter than any ambient sound on location.

Amazon's got a bunch.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-SM...=UTF8&qid=1423539583&sr=8-2&keywords=500w+ups

Oh I understand that, I've been on quite a few sets with them, of varying types and sizes, but they've all been at least 2k, which is power I don't need, and money I don't need to spend. If we need a generator big enough for that chances are I can convince a producer to hire one, but for much smaller jobs, or even as a backup for if we go overtime into darkness it would be great to have something to power just a handful of lightbulbs.

But what you have mentioned looks good, I will look into it. I don't desire something with no sound, but if I can get something without sound then it is a bonus.

Amazon's got a bunch.

Is the battery for these kinds that you linked too really that powerful? Obviously the one you linked too is very limited... I upped a little bit for the 60$ more expensive one which happens to be a much larger tower, something much closer to a distrobox.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-SMART1500LCDT-1500VA-Battery/dp/B009TZTGWK/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_y

However... I don't know much about indie lighting sadly... I've so far only been trained on Inbetweenies and up... my average lighting setup is about 20 paper amps while this higher end power tower isn't even a full amp?

Is indie lighting much lower on wattage or am I missing something? Even my three point lighting is above 1 paper amp...

-----

Edit: I just looked at the estimated runtime... if you load this thing up to 900 watts... it's estimated that it will last 1.6 minutes....

Last edited:
I haven't used this on an indie setup, but on a visit to Nepal a few years ago, I witnessed first hand, a UPS that was powering atleast 10 lights and fans, plus 2 computers and a TV. They said it could do that for 4 - 5 hours. So I'm certain those things are out there. I can try to get some more specifications.

Edit: I just looked at the estimated runtime... if you load this thing up to 900 watts... it's estimated that it will last 1.6 minutes....

Indeed.
The description says:
UPS battery backup support enables you to work through short power failures, and provides time to save files and perform an orderly system shutdown in case of a prolonged blackout. The SMART1500LCDT features a large internal battery that provides 90 min. of battery support for a single PC and 10 min. for a half load (450 watts). During normal operation, incoming utility power keeps the UPS battery fully charged so that backup power will always be available if needed.

Not really a power supply.
Just a little extra time to save and shut down.

I bought an "INVERTER" which hooks to your car battery with jumper cables. It converts the car battery to 1000-watts. Simply let your car run a few moments between takes and you're good to go... I shot three feature films with it.

Back