Looking for some musicals

Actually, I kind of liked it...

Maybe I'm biased toward live theatre, but IMO the movie just does not compare. They changed it quite a lot so it's less of a musical and more a film with musical numbers. And maybe it was just my copy but the way they did the grainy, high contrast black and white made me want to punch my tv :D

Just my opinion. But the live version is one of my favorite musicals. Makes me want a time machine to go back to berlin in the 20's/30's.

Maybe I'm biased toward live theatre, but IMO the movie just does not compare. They changed it quite a lot so it's less of a musical and more a film with musical numbers. And maybe it was just my copy but the way they did the grainy, high contrast black and white made me want to punch my tv :D

Just my opinion. But the live version is one of my favorite musicals. Makes me want a time machine to go back to berlin in the 20's/30's.

"Cabaret" with Liza was in color.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkRIbUT6u7Q

And do you really want to go back to the Weimar Republic? Do a little research; it's the period of time that led to Hitler and the Nazis. Rather frightening, actually.

Just re-watched West Side Story because it's on Sky Anytime this week.

When you think about it it's actually the weirdest idea. The very thought of gangs of young people roaming around snapping their fingers and doing ballet in the street makes me giggle.

But 'tis a great musical all the same.

lol! must have been my copy then that was black and white (it was my mothers and they recorded a lot of stuff from television in the 80s). That would also explain the crappy quality. :blush:

And obviously I don't mean that I want to go back to when hitler was in power. But the culture and spirit of that time and place (minus the politics) is very enchanting to me. At least the way it was presented in Cabaret.

As I said, it was pre-Nazi. The decadent lifestyle was an "eat-drink-and-be-merry-for-tomorrow-we-die" attitude, a tossing away of traditional values. The D-Mark went from one US dollar = 4 D-Marks in 1918 to one US dollar = 1 trillion D-Marks in 1923. Both were among the things Hitler capitalized on during his rise to power.

Cabaret was awesome, on film.

The one that really bites (on film) was A Chorus Line, with Michael Douglas.

Theatrically, both are fabulous though. :)

Regardless, just my opinion.

Back