Looking for a good tripod head

I recently got some money for Christmas that I was planning on spending on camera accessories. The main thing i wanted to buy was a fluid head for my tripod. I want a head that I can move easily for nice smooth panning and one that will also stay steady when I want it to. I have about 125$(could go up to 150$ if necessary) and I have no idea how to pick out a good tripod head so if you know of any good ones that would be great. If I have any money left over I would spend it on other stuff. I own a T2i and I have some basic stuff like a mini tripod some filters and an SD card case and such. But you if know of any other things I should buy that would be great. Thanks.

I'm pretty happy with my Manfrotto tripod/monopod and fluid heads (using a GH2). I think some are in your price range. Also, go to the major online dealers (B&H, Amazon, etc.) and read the reviews. Good info can be had from users.

Good luck!

-kj

Fwilly, looks nice and similar to mine, I like the build quality for the price.

I'm not the expert around here, but learned to look at a few details:
- Weight capacity. Think of the future: Are you going to add filters, matte box, microphone, etc.? It all adds up!
- Make sure it will attach to your existing tripod.
- There's no quick release plate, be sure you don't want/need one. May only fit Manfrotto, if so.
- Buy from a dealer with easy return/exchange policy.

I previously bought one of these. It's a decent tripod. Sticks are not great, but head is good. I recommend it for the value, but you need to treat it nice.

It uses yet another QR plate that doesn't fit anything else. I put a manfrotto plate on it to solve that.

Back