• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Logline help

My States Film Festival is coming up at the end of the summer and I desperately want to get something on camera. I have narrowed all of my ideas down to this one based on cast, crew and timing. Can you help me formulate this into a solid logline? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Room 250

A film school reject, a wannabe actor, and a true paranormal believer embark on an attempt to film a ghost at their local haunted hotel. The manager, thrilled by the potential tourist attraction pretends to be the ghost, but finds out that he enjoys killing.

Solid in this case means getting away from the synopsis thing that you have going on.

A killer disguises himself as a ghost during a student’s attempt to get paranormal activity on film.

My States Film Festival is coming up at the end of the summer and I desperately want to get something on camera. I have narrowed all of my ideas down to this one based on cast, crew and timing. Can you help me formulate this into a solid logline? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Room 250

A film school reject, a wannabe actor, and a true paranormal believer embark on an attempt to film a ghost at their local haunted hotel. The manager, thrilled by the potential tourist attraction pretends to be the ghost, but finds out that he enjoys killing.

You better get working fast. If the fest is at the end of the summer, their submission deadline should be coming up real quick. Like, you might've already missed it. But that's okay, you should totally make this movie. I'm sure you can find some other nearby fests to submit it to.

As to your logline, there's a couple problems. Firstly, who's the hero? That's who your logline should be about. What catastrophe is the hero facing, and how are they going to confront it. These are things loglines are made of. Best wishes!

Back