Limited to Canon lenses for the t2i

First and foremost I’m sorry for creative a topic that is seems to be getting quite repetitive. Having said that, my request is a bit different considering the fact that I have a limitation regarding the supplier where I can purchase my lens from. The reason is a bit absurd and not really worth mentioning.

So I am considering getting a prime EF 50mm f/1.8 II for my standard “always on” lenses, but also planning in doing a lot of wide shots that might have other requirements. I have also heard that its important to have a zoom lens in addition to your standard lens, is this something significant?

Would you recommend me a different prime lens from the following list, or would you go with my choice?

EF 50 1.8 II
EF-S 18-55 3.5-5.6 IS
EF 35 2.0
EF-S 55-250 4-5.6 IS
EF 50 2.5 MACRO
EF 75-300 U III (M)
EXT EF 1.4X II with LC LP811
EXT EF 2X II with LC LP811
EF-S 18-135 IS
EF-S 60 2.8 Macro USM
EF-S 17-85IS USM
EF 28-135 U IS
EF-S 18-200 3.5-5.6 IS
EF 100 2.8 U MAC
EF 70-300 IS USM
EF 70-200 4.0L U
EF 15 2.8 Olho de Peixe
EF-S 15-85 IS
EF 17-40 4.0L U
EF-S 10-22 USM
EF 100 MACRO IS USM
EF-S 17-55 2.8ISU
EF 24-105 4L
EF 70-200 4 L IS USM
EF 70-200 MM 2.8L USM
EF 24-70 2.8L U
EF 300 4.0L U IS
EF 16-35 2.8LII U
EF 180 3.5LU MACRO
EF 50mm1.2LUSM
EF 100-400L U IS
TS-E24 3.5 II L
EF 85 1.2L IIU
EF 14 2.8L II U
TS-E17
EF 70-200 2.8L IS II USM
EF 28-300L IS U
EF 300 2.8L U IS
EF 200 2L IS USM
EF 500 4.0L U IS

A bit off topic, have any of you tried Canon’s Stereo DM50? And is it even compatible?

Kind regards to all of you. :)

Okay, I'm sure someone is going to correct me on this, cuz I'm NOT an expert on this subject. However, for what it's worth, if an EF lens works on an EF-S camera, shouldn't the opposite also be true? The problem is that they don't translate to the same image. If you're using an EF lens on the T2i, you have to do some math, because that 50mm you think you're using isn't going to look like 50mm when put it on a camera with different sensor-size, or whatever. So, wouldn't it make sense that the same is true of the opposite? Couldn't you put an EF-S lens on an EF camera, and do the math to figure out how the image will look? I dunno, that last bit is speculation.

Wombat is right. Vignetting.

EF-S lenses are designed for smaller sensors. The lens' circular image is just big enough to cover the rectangular image sensor. So if an EF-S lens is used on a larger sensor, the circular image will fall partway inside the larger rectangle.

I have two options researched by myself so far:

OPTION 1
CANON Kiss X4 550D Rebel T2i DSLR CAMERA BODY - $749.00 + $69.00 = $818.00
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Lens - $359.00 + $59.00 = $418.00
Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - $345.00 + $24.52 = $369.52
TOTAL $1 605.52

OPTION 2
CANON Kiss X4 550D Rebel T2i DSLR CAMERA BODY - $749.00 + $69.00 = $818.00
Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM EF-S Lens - $1 051.99 + $15.00 = $1 066.99
TOTAL $1 884.99

Option 2 looks better to me, cause a friend of mine has 500D with EF-S 55-250mm IS Lens. So, if I need a magnification I can barrow it.

G... I exceeded my budget almost over a $1000 :(

Between the two options you have chosen for urself, the second one is better because the 17-55mm is a way better lens than the 18-135mm.

But dont limit yourself to these two options. I think you can spend less or the same money and get yourself a better package. The t2i can be bought in a kit which comes with the 18-55mm for 1000 dollars. Check it out on amazon. Then you can buy urself a 50mm 1.8 for a 100 dollars. With these two lenses you can get away with a lot in short film making if ur on a tight budget. and your total cost is 1100.

As for filming in tight spaces, dont be afraid to get creative with angles and composition. For example, you can get one long master take from a high corner of the room. Kind of the angle of a security camera. Show that shot at the beginning for a couple of secs and after that cut to close ups. Keep going back to it just for a couple of secs now and then to keep everything in perspective.

Is there a window in that room? If so you can open it and film from the outside if u need to for a couple of shots.

Does it specifically have to be that room? If not, you can show ur characters walking through a door. When you cut to them, you can be in a completely different room with more space and no one will be the wiser as long as there is sense of continuity in filming.

Im not sure if this is what you were looking for. If not, give me some more details and we'll c what can be done.

Goodluck!

EF-S lenses are designed for smaller sensors. The lens' circular image is just big enough to cover the rectangular image sensor. So if an EF-S lens is used on a larger sensor, the circular image will fall partway inside the larger rectangle.
Which actually sounds like a cool effect, but yeah, not something I'd want to use all the time.

Of course, if you don't plan on upgrading anytime soon, the generally less expensive EF-S lenses are fine.

Okay, I'm sure someone is going to correct me on this, cuz I'm NOT an expert on this subject. However, for what it's worth, if an EF lens works on an EF-S camera, shouldn't the opposite also be true? The problem is that they don't translate to the same image. If you're using an EF lens on the T2i, you have to do some math, because that 50mm you think you're using isn't going to look like 50mm when put it on a camera with different sensor-size, or whatever. So, wouldn't it make sense that the same is true of the opposite? Couldn't you put an EF-S lens on an EF camera, and do the math to figure out how the image will look? I dunno, that last bit is speculation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_factor

Vignetting is the inverse.

Quite simple really, I have a coupon that can only be used on Canon products.

Still not seeing your reason there,OP.
Did you only want to use NEW lenses?
You realize,of course, that w/ adapters that you can use Canon FD lenses on the T2i?
And Nikkors?
Obviously it would only be manual focusing but...
The quantity of good used lenses probably exceeds the quantity of new lenses.
Just FYI..

Still not seeing your reason there,OP.
Did you only want to use NEW lenses?
You realize,of course, that w/ adapters that you can use Canon FD lenses on the T2i?
And Nikkors?
Obviously it would only be manual focusing but...
The quantity of good used lenses probably exceeds the quantity of new lenses.
Just FYI..

The reason, once again, is very simple, I have a coupon that I can only use for canon products, in a specific OFFLINE canon store.

Back