• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Lighting Set-up Help

(I wasn't sure if I should post here or the Newbies section, but ultimately chose this since it's about lighting.)

I've recently (within the last year or so) taken interest in the art of film and everything related (music videos, TV sitcoms, commercials.) After getting a quite decent camera, I've spent whole days reading stacks of library books, online tutorials and articles, and pure experience. I'm getting pretty confident in my abilities to create a solid piece as far as shooting and post-production, especially on such a minimal budget for each project (mostly commercials for local businesses at this point.)

I'm trying to learn how to properly light for the context of each video. It seems like something you can only learn well by doing it. I feel like I'm restricting myself as far as lighting equipment goes. Right now I have a bunch of different things, like a clamp light I got from a thrift store and a desk lamp I've had for years, and they've worked up to this point. I just want a more reliable and professional set up. I've seen people suggest everything from $7 lights from Wal-Mart to $20K full lighting rigs.

My goals right now are music videos and continue doing commercial. Shooting on location with businesses are usually not a problem at all considering they have well-lit buildings. I've been in talks with bands for doing music videos but the only thing holding me back is lighting equipment.

What would be a nice ensemble of lights for somebody just starting out in general? (Thanks for your patience with my rambling at this point, it's a early day already. I also apologize if this question has been answered recently. I've searched the forum and haven't found what I'm looking for.)

Back