• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Lighting outdoors when it's cloudy.

I am going to meet a DP, and will probably get him to shoot a short. But going in, I need to know what I want. The short film takes place outdoors and I was wondering if it's cloudy that day, how do you light for clouds? You can't use reflectors since there is no reflection so do I just use lights that are 'cloudy balanced', if there is such lights?

Last edited:
I totally agree with that!

(Aha, Celebration is the English title of Festen!
I found 'the idiots' to be annoying (both the story and the sloppy filming (a few times you can see the other camera)) and intriguing (the story). (And one scene was actually a bit shocking...))

I haven't seen it,rules seem lol.

But my point was even if you work with all natural light, you can design lighting. i.e don't put your main actress under sunlight at noon, cause death sockets are ugly

I totally agree with that!

(Aha, Celebration is the English title of Festen!
I found 'the idiots' to be annoying (both the story and the sloppy filming (a few times you can see the other camera)) and intriguing (the story). (And one scene was actually a bit shocking...))

Festen is a fantastic film, far better than The Idiots, but both films show that you can create something without any gear. Both directors forced themselves to not use... well... the list is there. It's a test of creativity. I'm not saying that you have to do everything that they did, but for people starting out it may be a good idea to focus less on gear and color grading, and more so story and characters. Regardless if you like the films or not, their dedication to following the criteria they had to meet is pretty amazing.

Very true!

Let's repeat it:

...but for people starting out it may be a good idea to focus less on gear and color grading, and more so story and characters...

This isn't only good advice for people who are starting out.

Very true!

Let's repeat it:

...but for people starting out it may be a good idea to focus less on gear and color grading, and more so story and characters...

This isn't only good advice for people who are starting out.

Agreed. I can think of a few directors that need to try something like that out :yes:

CG, VFX, good sound, grading, and camera movement are awesome. As long as they assist the story. They are not meant to cover up a weak story, they are meant to further push the idea of location, time, and tone. Once you master storytelling, you can then use gear and techniques to "make it better".

Last edited:
Back