• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

lighting an alleyway?

I'm shooting a short film that takes place in an alleyway at night. I wanted to do both wide shots to establish the scene and closer shots of the characters to tell the story. I'm concerned about lighting the establishing shots without having to light up the entire alley way or shoot at a very low resolution. I want it to look dark and gritty, but still want a decent resolution out of it. Shooting digital, probably with an XL-2 or maybe even HD. On a very low budget too, so that is a factor. Any advice?

Get a 1k worklight from home depot. put it at the far end of the alley and out of the shot, light up one side of the alley that way. Put the camera to one side so the lit side ends up behind the subject. Then setup and light the subject normally. The wide shot may need a second light on the other side of the alley. If you spray water on the pavement/cement, it'll pick up some of the light as well (see any 80's movie).

Back