• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Lighting a small cabin...

What camera are you using? If you can get an A7s you're probably in okay shape. I've always felt that you get more light out of the old propane lanterns, though I suppose there's a bit more hassle and risk of fire with those, but the quality of light from them is quite nice. I wouldn't be surprised if these electric lanterns will give you a lot of funky color, which may work for you, of course.

Thank you for the replies everyone...I'll have to check on the camera, its a loaner from a coworker though is around $1000 and was used for documentaries but I know is not a high end film camera. I may try the Home Depot generator as well.

I bought this: https://shopping.yahoo.com/1525065104-500-lumen-deluxe-lantern/?bfr=50.0
The light is decently powerful, lightweight, and I like the battery powered aspect. The light is pretty ghoulish and harsh. I was hoping for something a little more diffuse, but if I combine it with a second light maybe they will help even each other out?

Another thought is to buy what is called an "inverter", which hooks to your car battery. It turns your 12-volt car battery into a 750-watt electric outlet. You could power a big light or two and blast it through the cabin window. Simply park the car about 50 feet away from the cabin and let the car run with the hood up. (To avoid running down your car battery). Run a regular extension cord from the car to your light. (The inverter will also give you power to charge your batteries, etc). I shot a whole feature film using a 750-watt inverter and it worked great. Just be sure to leave the hood up so that you do not burn up your inverter. One trick is to hook the inverter to your battery with jumper cables so that you can put the inverter on the ground instead of in the engine compartment. Here is an example (click here) There are also smaller units (like 100 watts) that plug into your cigarette lighter...you could run a hundred watt bulb with it, or a BUNCH of the new power saver bulbs.

What types of lights did you run off the inverter? I've used them before myself, but only with tungsten lamps, because my inverter is a modified sine wave inverter, and it's my understanding that for any fluorescents, you would need a pure sign wave inverter which are much more expensive.

We used Lowel tungsten lights and bare light bulbs. (With a daylight blue gel attached to the barndoors to balance them for daylight). If you use fluorescents, you can eliminate flicker by
changing your camera's FPS setting.

Back