• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

letterbox problem on burned dvd ...

Hi!

I just finished a shortfilm and burned into DVD through Toast 10.

The original format on the quicktimefile I exported from final cut is:
Frame size:
1440x1080

Vid Rate
25 fps

Compressor
HDV1080i50

Pixel Aspect:
HD (1440x1080)

Audio format
16-bit integer

Audio Rate
48 Khz

The picture looks good and toast converts the HDV into PAL-size fine but the problem is that when I play the dvd on my dvd player and my old analoge 4:3 TV the picture is to big for the screen.

I thought that it would fit and add a black bar on the top and bottom.

How can I make this film fit both into 4:3 TV and newer 16:9 tv:s? so that the black bars appears on older tv:s while it fills the display on newer ones automatically???

Ive tried burn with both with both 16:9, 4:3 and automatic but with the same result. the picture is to big for the tv.

do I have to add the black bars up and down manually? seems strange though.

Thanks a lot for you help!

Perik

Well, it's an anamorphic image, so it *should* letterbox itself on the screen, but perhaps your dvd player isn't set up properly for that.. It sounds like it's defaulting to a pan/scan type of setting.

If your TV is old, that might be the issue. I only have a very old SD tube and even when a TV show is widescreen, it cuts off the sides. Only when I've put in a DVD that has a lot of the black space in the letterbox (like star wars), does it actually letterbox itself.

When it's the slightly 'taller' widescreen, it just cuts off the sides and fills the whole screen. It's kind of frustrating, I can't seem to do anything about it :(

Sorry my post was no help to you, OP, but at least you are not alone in having this problem :)

I downloaded myDVDEDit and checked the DVD and the VTS 1 are checked with
16:9 auto pan&scsn and letterbox

so the DVD seems to be correct?

but one strange thing though.

I burned in toast with automatic settings and now I also tried it on my projector but the image seems to be cropped even on the projector. If I use 4:3 its displayed correct but the image is cropped. (If I use 16:9 setting its stretched)

OK UPDATE:
mixed a bit with the setup in the DVD-player and saw that it was on
4:3 Pan&Scan

I changed this to
4:3 Letterbox

and now it works.

but how come other movies I bought from the store always displayed correctly on my dvd even though I had 4:3 Pan&Scan settings on the DVD player???

why did mine not work untill I changed the settings in the DVD player???

My specs in Movie Inspector in Quicktime is:
Format: Muxed Mpeg2, 720x404 pixels
FPS: 25
Playing FPS:
Data Size: 373.41 MB
Data Rate: 4206.14 Kbit/s
Normal Size: 720 x 404 pixels
Current Size: 720 x 404 pixels (actual)

I saw on one of those bought DVD:s that it was set on:
16:9 auto Letterbox

is that a better choice than

16:9 auto pan&scsn and letterbox

thanks for help!!!

Last edited:
does your DVD have menus and what not? This is just a guess, but maybe your DVD player always starts in this mode, and then when a NEW movie starts playing (a menu choice on the DVD) it changes to the correct mode..

Perhaps commercial DVD's also show this same behavior, but since most commercial menus are MADE to work on 4:3 you don't notice....

Just an idea.

Back