• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Let's exercise our brains.

I don't know about you guys, but I like to exercise my mind sometimes and try to come up with good premises for movies. Its sort of my way of staying on my feet.

So with that said, who wants a decent workout? I'll start with the first premise, but I'd love to read what others come up with.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Imagine a movie about a guy whose desperately trying to create the scariest movie known to man. But like all writers, he’s experiencing a long-lasting block, preventing him from creating that masterpiece. He eventually concludes that he can’t make it because he never experienced real fear in his life. He starts small by visiting dangerous neighborhoods, but eventually he ends up befriending these dangerous people who take him to rob a liquor store. As they rob the store, one of them ends up shooting the clerk. They all go to jail, which begins his tale.

He gets 10 years in prison where he eventually ends up being close friends with a gang lord who protects him throughout his sentence. When he gets out, he goes on to write his masterpiece and works his way up to becoming a famous filmmaker.

At the height of his fame, his past catches up to him. He ends up murdering someone and ends up back in prison for 40 years. He gets out at 70 and creates one last film that’s so stressful, it kills him in the end.

I like this exercise. I have decided that I want to start conceptualizing at least one world or character set or plot line per week and trying to flesh that out by the end of the week starting sunday and ending saturday so I'll get started now.

There is a guy starting his first year at college. He makes friends easily and has a clean transition to college life. Throughout the year he and 5 other students develop a close relationship with a professor who's been experimenting to create super human weapons to deploy against crime. He and his friends are used in the first wave and they fight against other countries' militaries.

I'm picturing a 3 part story where in the second part, his sophomore year, he has personal struggles with developing his powers and the group falling apart due to them being thrust into the public spotlight and facing more difficult enemies. The third part is his senior year. He's been living in government facilities for the past year. The group, having disbanded at the end of the second part, hasn't kept in touch. He is a consultant for a larger project involving more super humans. He would be the mentor of a team of younger heroes (now high schoolers). He pulls the original group out of university again though to fight their newest foe who is threatening the homefront this time.

I have no clue who/what they'd be fighting but this would be fun to flesh out some more and develop characters for :D

I don't know about you guys, but I like to exercise my mind sometimes and try to come up with good premises for movies. Its sort of my way of staying on my feet.

So with that said, who wants a decent workout? I'll start with the first premise, but I'd love to read what others come up with.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Imagine a movie about a guy whose desperately trying to create the scariest movie known to man. But like all writers, he’s experiencing a long-lasting block, preventing him from creating that masterpiece. He eventually concludes that he can’t make it because he never experienced real fear in his life. He starts small by visiting dangerous neighborhoods, but eventually he ends up befriending these dangerous people who take him to rob a liquor store. As they rob the store, one of them ends up shooting the clerk. They all go to jail, which begins his tale.

He gets 10 years in prison where he eventually ends up being close friends with a gang lord who protects him throughout his sentence. When he gets out, he goes on to write his masterpiece and works his way up to becoming a famous filmmaker.

At the height of his fame, his past catches up to him. He ends up murdering someone and ends up back in prison for 40 years. He gets out at 70 and creates one last film that’s so stressful, it kills him in the end.

I think your Head grew an Arm out of it. You had something really good going. Think "Secret Window"...the main Character should act alone and be alone in his experiments. Each one getting worse and worse and more scarier. ie Spending the night in a grave yard and then spending the night in a supposed haunted house. Something to that extent.

But having your character go to prison actually takes away from your main story idea. Just my two cents. :)

I will post my own idea below...

I like this exercise. I have decided that I want to start conceptualizing at least one world or character set or plot line per week and trying to flesh that out by the end of the week starting sunday and ending saturday so I'll get started now.

There is a guy starting his first year at college. He makes friends easily and has a clean transition to college life. Throughout the year he and 5 other students develop a close relationship with a professor who's been experimenting to create super human weapons to deploy against crime. He and his friends are used in the first wave and they fight against other countries' militaries.

I'm picturing a 3 part story where in the second part, his sophomore year, he has personal struggles with developing his powers and the group falling apart due to them being thrust into the public spotlight and facing more difficult enemies. The third part is his senior year. He's been living in government facilities for the past year. The group, having disbanded at the end of the second part, hasn't kept in touch. He is a consultant for a larger project involving more super humans. He would be the mentor of a team of younger heroes (now high schoolers). He pulls the original group out of university again though to fight their newest foe who is threatening the homefront this time.

I have no clue who/what they'd be fighting but this would be fun to flesh out some more and develop characters for :D

Maybe they could be test subjects, created by the Government, because the Government wants to know that if "Superhuman" people ever did exist, if they would indeed be able to overthrow the Government. So the Government, ie, NSA, FBI, etc. would be the Antagonist.

The Other House - working title © 2012

A successful author and writer on Parapsychology, DAVID OWENS, moves into an abandoned home to do hands-on research after rumors surface of the previous tenant’s strange disappearance.

During his research, David discovers a hidden doorway in the basement under the stairs. After opening and entering the door, the unbeknownst David walks into a PARRALLEL UNIVERSE with the same exact house on the other side, with one exception…it’s haunted. The person doing the haunting? The previous tenant, who also encountered this secret door, and became so terrified by the strange events, the only escape from his nightmares from this horror, was to burn the house down…though, he burned the wrong house down, trapping himself in the haunted house, from its previous tenant….and over and over and over, this is a reoccurring theme.

David undergoes a series of extremely terrifying events (mostly psychological) and he too decides to burn the house down…repeating the process.

Back