Lens protection

What do you guys use to protect the lens while shooting? I sometimes use a variable ND filter when outdoors, besides that I don't know what would be optimal for video without altering image quality

-UV/Haze filter?

Please advise, thanks!

Note that a skylight filter is very slightly pink, so will introduce a colour shift. A better option is a UV filter. They're not much used for filtering UV these days because modern lenses actually filter out more UV than the filters do, but they are completely neutral in terms of colour.

(Less well-informed shop sales staff will tell you that UV and skylight filters are the same thing - don't stand for this.)

Note that a skylight filter is very slightly pink, so will introduce a colour shift. A better option is a UV filter. They're not much used for filtering UV these days because modern lenses actually filter out more UV than the filters do, but they are completely neutral in terms of colour.

(Less well-informed shop sales staff will tell you that UV and skylight filters are the same thing - don't stand for this.)

glad you posted this, I would have never known!

I use a lens cap to protect the lens when I'm not shooting, and nothing when I am. Modern lenses have expensive, high-quality anti-reflective coatings; things like UV filters generally don't - so they tend to pick up reflections and glare much more easily than the front element on the lens does. The only time I'd choose to use one is in a specific situation where I expected rocks or gravel to be flying at the lens, and even then I might be more inclined to use a sheet of lexan or similar to protect the entire camera.

I got my 52mm polarizer for like 17 bucks on ebay (prices will go up the larger the diameter of your barrel), works wonders for me. some will tell you that the quality of the glass/plastic in the filter is ultra important for image quality, but I find that anything will do if you just want to try out the different filter types and get experienced using them. While you're getting the UV filter and Polarizer filter, you might as well pick up a variable ND filter as well (~$40)

I use a lens cap to protect the lens when I'm not shooting, and nothing when I am. Modern lenses have expensive, high-quality anti-reflective coatings; things like UV filters generally don't - so they tend to pick up reflections and glare much more easily than the front element on the lens does. The only time I'd choose to use one is in a specific situation where I expected rocks or gravel to be flying at the lens, and even then I might be more inclined to use a sheet of lexan or similar to protect the entire camera.

Same here, even on my vintage lenses. I certainly use filters, but don't leave a UV or other filter on all the time.

Thanks guys,

I really appreciate all of your posts :)

I ended up getting a B+H UV filter for my expensive lens and some Marumi filters for the inexpensive lens.
Also got a Marumi Super DHG Circular Polarizer at 77mm to use with some single step-up rings for all my lenses.

How about humidity? Will exposing the lens without a filter to high humidity environments lead to moisture getting into the lens? I'm going to China in a few weeks and need to make sure I keep my lenses properly maintained.

Into the lens? I guess it depends on the lens itself. Canon L lenses are environmentally sealed; as long as they are attached to the camera moisture isn't really an issue. I've used my 5D with L lenses in light rain without a problem. With older or less expensive lenses it could be an issue, but nothing you put on the front will change that - moisture could still get in elsewhere on the lens.

The main issue with humidity is to be careful when moving between air-conditioned indoor and humid outdoor environments; if the lens is cold it will cause moisture to condense on it when you take it outside. You should put the lens in a ziploc or similar before going outside, then give it time to warm up to ambient temperature before taking it out of the bag. Same with the camera body.

Last edited:
Into the lens? I guess it depends on the lens itself. Canon L lenses are environmentally sealed; as long as they are attached to the camera moisture isn't really an issue. I've used my 5D with L lenses in light rain without a problem. With older or less expensive lenses it could be an issue, but nothing you put on the front will change that - moisture could still get in elsewhere on the lens.

The main issue with humidity is to be careful when moving between air-conditioned indoor and humid outdoor environments; if the lens is cold it will cause moisture to condense on it when you take it outside. You should put the lens in a ziploc or similar before going outside, then give it time to warm up to ambient temperature before taking it out of the bag. Same with the camera body.

Thanks, I will do that!

Back