Lens advice for filming with 5D MK II

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice on lenses for filmmaking on the 5D MKII..

I'm wanting to get a lens that's pretty versatile, so I was thinking a zoom lens to start. I also want good low light capabilities.

I'm going to have to save for it, so cheaper would lead to me getting it faster, however I don't want to sacrifice quality. I know a GOOD lens will probably run over $900, and I know a little about lenses but not a whole lot. So I wanted to get some second opinions on what to get!

I saw some online such as a 28-135 f/2.5 (I think that was the f-stop) that seem like they might be nice.

Opinions?

Depends on you camera i guess but for a t3i (its on its way) ive been told to watch out for apature changes while filming, so look for a lens that only has 1 apature setting. Im currently looking for vintage lenses..i currently bidding on a SUPER TAKUMAR 28MM 3.5 with the m42 screw mount that is the quarter of the price for a new lens but also they sometimes have better optics as well..That would be my prime lens..the vintage lenses for the most part would not change apature unless you manually (also called manual lens) do it. but there are so many lenses out there and so many standards..do your research.

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice on lenses for filmmaking on the 5D MKII..

I'm wanting to get a lens that's pretty versatile, so I was thinking a zoom lens to start. I also want good low light capabilities.

I'm going to have to save for it, so cheaper would lead to me getting it faster, however I don't want to sacrifice quality. I know a GOOD lens will probably run over $900, and I know a little about lenses but not a whole lot. So I wanted to get some second opinions on what to get!

I saw some online such as a 28-135 f/2.5 (I think that was the f-stop) that seem like they might be nice.

Opinions?

The only 28-135 EF lens I'm aware of is f/3.5-5.6. If the lens you mentioned exists it'd probably work fine in most situations. I'd suggest looking at the 24-70 f/2.8. I've never shot with it but it seems like it'd be a very versatile lens.

Ditto the 24-70 f/2.8, a stellar lens.

The Sigma 24-75 ( i think? close to it) 2.8 is less expensive. Not quite as nice.

for the same price though you could pick up a couple of primes. Try the Rokinon 35mm 1.4 and the 85mm 1.4. BEAUTIFUL lenses for a stellar price. I'd throw them against Canon for video any day.

For narrative work I prefer prime lenses. If you're shooting live events as they happen zoom lenses are nice to have. If you go with a zoom lens it's nice to have a constant aperture for video work.

For narrative work I prefer prime lenses. If you're shooting live events as they happen zoom lenses are nice to have. If you go with a zoom lens it's nice to have a constant aperture for video work.

I plan on doing narrative works and freelance videography (which could include live events). So which would be a better first buy in your opinion :huh:

If you can afford a decently fast zoom like the 24-70 I mentioned that would be a great starter lens. If your budget is more limited picking up a few inexpensive primes will get you started.

I plan on doing narrative works and freelance videography (which could include live events). So which would be a better first buy in your opinion :huh:

For videography, a zoom lens would be beneficial because you cannot always be exactly where you want, which means a prime lens cannot always get the shot you want. That being said, the 5D has a limited recording time (~12min in 1080p); so, make sure to consider that when choosing a camera with the intention of doing videography.

We use a 24-70mm all the time in narrative work. Primes more, but still.

Though a nice, fast, wide prime is the one lens we're really lacking. If we had a 24 1.4 or a 28 1.8 we might use it less.

Still, that 24-70 is a stellar lens. You get what you pay for with it.

Back