• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Length Between Revisions

Ok, i've been writing a decent bit lately, mostly shorts, and probably all will never be put into production. Basically what I have been doing was practice. I write then I have some people read and tell me what they think. But how long should I wait till I edit the piece?

I read somewhere that you should wait a little bit, a week or two, and another place said start editing as soon as you are done.

What have people found to work best for them? Because I can see plus' and minus' to both trains of thought on this subject matter.

Regards,

~Thanato

I like waiting...

Ok, i've been writing a decent bit lately, mostly shorts, and probably all will never be put into production. Basically what I have been doing was practice. I write then I have some people read and tell me what they think. But how long should I wait till I edit the piece?

I read somewhere that you should wait a little bit, a week or two, and another place said start editing as soon as you are done.

What have people found to work best for them? Because I can see plus' and minus' to both trains of thought on this subject matter.

Regards,

~Thanato

I like waiting for at least a couple of weeks... Even longer if there's no deadline for the script. I like to wait because the waiting time allows you to step away from the story and characters and get your mind on something else so when you FINALLY come back to the script, you're hopefully looking at it with a fresh set of eyes.

I do NOT recommending going immediately to work editing on a fresh draft because you're usually so CLOSE to the story that you simply will NOT make the same logical decisions you will make if you wait.

For me... Waiting allows me that fresh set of eyes that help make all the CRAP I wrote really stand out hence, making it much easier to edit, tweak, and rewrite.

filmy

Back