• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

LED Lighting

Hi,

I am a student currently doing my research dissertation which is on the future of lighting. I wondered if anyone knew what productions LED lighting has been used on or any more information on if they are the way forward as far as film lighting is concerned. Any help big or small will be much appreciated, if I mention any information you give me in the dissertation I will reference you unless you otherwise let me know. Thank you, Phil

Check out Litepanels. I haven't used them personally yet, but fiddled with a few of their products at a mini-conference thing recently. The 1x1's with adjustable color temp seemed pretty sweet.

http://www.litepanels.com/

There are some other companies making led stuff, but that is the first one that comes to mind.

I've used Litepanels. They're great. Low power consumption and dimmable, fairly light weight. I used them for some interview/documentary shooting hot-shoed to a DVX-100. No complaints.

Yeah, I hear great things from folks that have used them - especially the 1x1 modular setups and the bi-color models. I really want to try their hot-shoe IR version as well. Still though, only today found a source (by chance) that rents them near me, so very soon. :D

http://ledstorm.com/ledstorm/compon...d,6/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,57/vmcchk,1/

These guys came into my class and made me realize everything on our electric truck that was not an LED light was going to be obsolete in a matter of years. there a little company in miami. There lights can be adjusted to any color temp, or any color. They also have different settings to create effects such as fire, police lights, TV flicker, ect. But what really blew me away was the lenses. They have lenses (par, fresnel, ect) for their LED panels and they really work, it's very cool.

These guys came into my class and made me realize everything on our electric truck that was not an LED light was going to be obsolete in a matter of years.

Maybe in a couple of years, but right now LED lights are only a special purpose tool. If you look at how LED lights are actually being used in production it is as Obie lights or to light car interiors at night. They don’t yet have the output, nor the color rendering capability (CRI), to serve in any other capacity. Like every other DP & Gaffer, I have put together my favorite lighting package based upon my more than 20 years operating a lighting rental and production service company. For my package, I have picked lights that I feel offer both the highest output (lumens/watt) and the best production capability and have combined them with distribution technology I've developed that enhances the production capability of the new Honda Inverter Generators. As yet, I have not found a LED lighting fixture that warrants inclusion in my package. Trust me, I have looked at all of them and some still to come. Here are a few of my reasons why I prefer Kinos, especially the Parabeam 400 fixtures, over LED Panels for many of the applications that LEDs are being marketed for and it has to do with more than just their spectral distribution.

In HD Digital Cinema, the quality of light is more critical than ever. In High Def every detail of “on-camera” talent is rendered clearly on the screen – even the imperfections. Where LED and traditional hard light sources can exaggerate textural details, it is my opinion that fluorescent soft light is better for lighting talent in High Def productions because it can subdue those same textures and render a more cosmetic appearance. Primarily for this reason, I prefer the Kino Flo Parabeam fixtures, over LED Panels and other light sources, to serve as a Key source. Here are a few other reasons as well.

What distinguishes the Parabeam fixtures from LED Panels and other fluorescent lights is their throw, power efficiency, and the innovative accessories Kino Flo makes available for the fixtures. Accessories include barndoors, a gel frame, a diffusion panel, and Honeycomb Louvers. These features enhance the production capabilities of the Parabeam fixtures and make them suitable to serve as a key, or even backlight, source where conventional fluorescent movie lights and LED light panels are not.

Both conventional fluorescent movie lights (Kino Flo’s included) and LED light panels have a very broad light output that is hard to control. These lights also tend to drop off rapidly which means that to serve as a Key source, the units need to be positioned close to the subject they are lighting. These characteristics make them best suited to serve as Key sources in documentary interview set ups where the Keys are typically positioned close to the interview subject. In that capacity conventional fluorescent lights and LED light panels (with heavy diffusion) can generate a wonderful soft light that wraps around the interview subject without wilting them. But, given these characteristics, conventional fluorescent movie lights and LED light panels have only limited applications as fill sources in dramatic set lighting.

The ParaBeam fixtures, on the other hand, have computer aided designed (CAD) parabolic reflectors that focus their light output where it is needed most for lighting dramatic scenes - at a medium distance – making them better suited as a Key source for HD Digital Cinema. If you compare the photometric tables of the Parabeam 400 and the Diva 400 (which uses the same four lamps), you will notice that at 16’ the Parabeam 400 puts out almost three times the light level (28FC) than the Diva 400 (10FC) even though they both use the same tubes. You can always diffuse a Parabeam to create a soft source, but nothing you do will make a Diva 400 or LED light panel punchier.

In fact, a Parabeam 400 generates as much light at 16’ as the 4’ 8-Tube Kino Flathead 80 fixture, yet uses less than a quarter of the power (2 Amps verses 9.2 Amps.) While the seven amp difference is not a major consideration when using house power, it can make a difference when your power is limited (coming from a portable generator) because you can use four Parabeam 400s for the same power as a 4’ – 8 Bank Kino Flathead 80. And unlike the ballasts of Kino Flo’s fixture that use the T12 tubes, the Parabeam ballasts also include filters to reduce the return of harmonic currents into the power stream and improve their power efficiency. This makes them an especially efficient fluorescent light source that is comparable to the power efficiency of LED light panels and suitable for battery operation. For instance a Parabeam 400 puts out more light than even Zylight’s new high output LED light panel yet draws just .2 Amps more power.

While the newest LED light panels (that use the higher output LEDs) approach the Parabeams in output, the Parabeam fixtures are more easily controlled – an essential requirement in a Key source. Parabeam fixtures are controlled by interchanging Kino Flos’ innovative Honeycomb Louvers. Louvers are available in 90, 60 and 45 degrees. Swapping louvers provides beam control similar to that of swapping lenses on an HMI Par. These features enhance the production capabilities of the Parabeam fixtures and make them suitable to serve as a Key or Backlight source where conventional fluorescent movie lights and LED light panels will spill all over the set.

Kino Flo Parabeam fixtures are ideal for filming with the Red One. Since the Red’s native color balance is 5000K, it looks best when the lighting package consists of 5500K sources. Kino Flo Parabeam fixtures are a cost effective alternative to HMIs because they can use 5500K tubes. They provide beam control similar to that of swapping lenses on an HMI by interchanging their honeycomb louvers. And, they are even more efficient sources than HMIs. When using 5500K tubes to light for the Red’s 5000K native color balance, you can warm the lights without losing output to CTO gels by simply mixing in 3200K tubes with the 5500k tubes. Given the light sensitivity of the Red Camera, the more focused light of the Parabeam 400s is all that is needed for a key light even at a distance.

The power that I save by using Parabeam 400s for key sources in my package, enables me to power more lights on the enhanced 7500W output of my modified Honda EU6500is generator. Using a 60A Full Power Transformer/Distro on my modified Honda EU6500is I am able to power a lighting package that consists of a 2.5kw, 1200, & 800 HMI Pars, a couple of Parabeam 400s and Parabeam 200s, and a Flat Head 80. Given the light sensitivity of the Red Camera this is all the light I need to light a large night exterior. (Use this link - http://www.screenlightandgrip.com/html/ema...generators.html - for a detailed description of the benefits to using Kino Parabeam 400s on portable generators (the section on the Parabeams is about three quarters of the way through the article.)

Compared to LED fixtures, Kino Flo Parabeam fixtures are nearly as efficient but offer greater versatility. Able to interchange different color temperature tubes, and vary beam spread with their interchangeable honeycomb louvers, the Parabeam fixture can do what it takes four different LED Litepanel fixtures to accomplish – Spot and Flood in both 5500K and 3200K. Offering better light quality, output, beam control, and versatility, the Kino Flo ParaBeams make for a better key or back light for HD cinema production. Not to mention that you can buy two Parabeam 400s for the asking price of a single LED light panel.

Guy Holt, Gaffer, Boston

but once you put lenses on the light panel it's a whole new ball game. The company I posted has these lens things that go over the front of the panel, and give each bulb it's own little lens. It looks crazy but it works just like a lens on any other light. The technology may not be quite there yet, but personally I think, sooner or later, LED's are going to be the standard in lighting in general (not just film). No more big generators or ballasts, no more setting off fie sprinklers shooting interiors, an electric truck will just be full of panels. But thats just my humble theory.

And digital will replace film eventually, but not as soon as people think. A LOT of Grips who are more comfortable with traditional lights are going to have to retire, just as a LOT of cinematoigraphers who will just never be comfortable on anything but film will have to retire.

Back