• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Learning Course/Degree as Video Editor

Hellow fellow reader,

Im from germany but I also have the U.S. citzienship, since I was a child I wanted to live in the USA beacuse I dont have that home feeling in Germany, so now I have gotten my ,,Highschool,, Diploma from Germany and im allowed to study here but I would rather go to the USA and get more in depth learning of video editing itself - i´ve done some commercial stuff as video editor tough so far ( im 21 ).

Ive looked around the internet because its literally my only source of information since I still live here, what im looking for is not even a college or university teaching me this, but somewhere where I have real teachers/professionals where I can get some more information after class.

But I really struggle with finding something appropriate, it seems like most of the courses are online, and if theyre not theyre at least above 20.000 USD per year ( and my max is kinda about 10 grand or sth for a year just for the course) or just short courses about 4weeks + which isnt really much helping when I want to live on a steady place for around a year.

Do you have any site where I can gather more information about courses of film/videoediting in the US?
Im considering literally anything and I dont really care if its a community college or university, but it seems like all the stuff ive found so far - when I go deeper into it - comments mostly are that its not worth the money/time - and mostly if I find a interesting site about schools they want me to buy a membership for their site.

Is anyone out there who had the same experiences and knows a solution to my question?

Regards,

Lucas

Okay.... First off... 10k a year? That's a community college... which don't REALLY have film programs worth going to... especially if you don't even live in the US. You might as well enjoy a good european film school in that case.

However if you really want to get a film education than you have a few US trade schools which supply quality technical degrees. Such as the one I attend, Full Sail University. However, Full Sail for example currently has a film tuition of almost 90 thousand. That's really high for most people. Of course, there are other film schools... but their prices are all pretty high as well.

The bad comments you'll find on the internet are mostly either people who haven't even attended the schools they talk about, or they are drop-out/failed students. Unless it's New York Film Academy. Then it's actually the students/grads/teachers making the comments.....

But yea anyways... what you're describing sounds like a Full Sail education... all FS professors are required to be professionals in their industry for at least 5 years before being considered to teach here. Also they often work with students on outside projects, often leading to really good networking.

But again, for 10k a year, forget the USA higher education system, go to Kings.

Back