• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Language in Script?

Hi i have a small question. While writing script should i use the orginal words or treat them in a new way? i mean i was reading a script of a movie (it was a famous hollywood movie, i dont remmebr the name) in that an actor was saying yo're rather then saying your....now tell me is the writer who write this type of words. Or it was treated by the filmmaker to make it different?? whos responsibility is it in normal circumstances?

I forgot to mention one more thing. An actor used the word fu--in rather than fu--

As we know the US and Britian English is different. And in Pakistan we follow Britian pattern, will it be a problem for me if the buyers of my script are from US???

Regards

Last edited:
I just signed up and I'm already confused. :hmm:
What do you mean 'use the original words'? I'm very confused but I'll try answer anyway.

The dialog in the screenplay would have been written by the writer, not director or producer. There may be circumstances where that isn't the case but it almost certainly is.

The words are written the way someone would pronounce them. You write the dialog the way people talk, not the way they'd write and not necessarily what's grammatically correct.

hmm thanks. actually i just got the reply of my answers while reading a book.....it was related to scriptwriting(though not avery knowledgeable but still a good one) .

Thanks for the reply....

by the way just wanted to make it clear what i asked..

i said that suppose writier uses the word yo're (in script) now obviously it might be hard for buyer of the script while reading. so should we write clear words like "your" or we should still go with "yo're"

i hope you have understood what i actually needed?

Regards

Back