LA vs NYC NYFA

Sorry guys, this question has probably been asked a lot haha! So looks like I should be heading out to NYFA next year for 8 weeks, however, now I've just goota decide what campus I go to, LA or New York. I dont have much experience in either of these cities, so from anyone whos lived in both or just been there, which one is nicer to live in for 2 months, is there a lot to do/see in spare time all that jazz.

In terms of shooting, which one is better/more practical? Is one better than the other for filming?

Just looking for any sort of info which could help me make the decision, ideas/experiences from anyone would be great, thanks! :)

NY vs. LA

You'll find that the curriculum for the 8 week program at NYFA is identical in New York and LA. In New York you'll be attend class in Union Square (Manhattan) and shooting around the city, whereas in LA you'll be attending class at Universal Studios and shooting off property. You'll get the same material and experience at either location, so it's really a matter of preference when it comes to location.

One of the biggest perks to studying in New York is you won't need a car-- public transportation is very efficient and easily accessible (though it can be frustrating at times), and you'll encounter a cosmopolitan environment where people from all different walks of life and industries converge. It's pretty easy to make professional contacts in the entertainment industry here, and to climb the ladder, because New York isn't a "union town" in the way that LA is.

In LA, however, you're in the heart of the industry. In New York you'll encounter film, television, broadcast, and theater, but in LA everything revolves around the film/television industry. If you have a car and aren't afraid of the freeways out west, you may enjoy LA. Shooting outdoors in New York is pretty easy (in terms of permitting). LA can be trickier. But the weather is superior out there (warm and rain-free most of the time!).

In any case, there are pros and cons to each city. I would go with your gut-- which location interests you more?

Thanks for your reply, it has been very informative and helpful!

Well I did originally really want to go to LA because I've been there once before and loved it, and I think I would enjoy living there more. Although the only thing that is putting me off is the transportation, like you said. Even without a car, how difficult is it to travel around (especially when having to transport equipment!) I could always hope someone else has a car :P

Back