La jetée

Given the fact that it was composed almost entirely of still pictures - yet retains the viewer's interest throughout - the 28-minute film La jetée was quite impressive.

In trying to think differently (ie. my other thread on mixing Documentary and Narrative), I've revisited this short film, trying to analyze HOW it accomplished what it did.

I think it boils down to:
- An interesting premise (a prisoner used in underground post-war time travel experiments)
- Strong visuals (the tunnels, post-war destruction, electrodes, guys wearing goggles, etc.)
- Sound design (one of my favorite parts was the unintelligible whisperings of the experimenters)
- A great narrator

- Oh... and, probably the most memorable part: a twist ending

I wonder why we've not seen more stuff like this, given the opportunities we have today with making fantastic still images without practicals. Phenomenal things can be done with compositing on camera-matched motion footage. Imagine the work that can be done on a series of stills.

Maybe it's because any film that even attempts to use mostly stills will be compared negatively to La jetée?

Curious to know you guys' thoughts on this film and this style.

I wonder why we've not seen more stuff like this

Well, it did get turned into the more well-known 12 Monkeys.

I think the main reason most people don't see films like this is 'cos they don't go film-fests that often. Most fests, however, have blocks of shorts made in all kinds of different ways.

Good point, Zensteve.

I guess I was including web (Vimeo, YouTube, etc.) there too. I've seen quite a bit of experimental shorts online, just nothing so far in the style of La jetée.

Zensteve said:
I think the main reason most people don't see films like this is 'cos they don't go film-fests that often.
And that includes me. ...not a lot of film fests down in my neck of the woods. Heh.

Back