• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Kinect Ad - Feedback please!

I did it! I completed my first stab at making a creative video and also my first experience using Adobe Premiere, After Effects, and Skyrim mods. Link: http://youtu.be/icoCqQUI6HU

The goal was to create a Microsoft Xbox Kinect like commercial that advertises a new feature, which allows users to talk freely with NPCs.

My first big lesson I learned was that my audio setup is no bueno. I have done a lot of music recording in the past where I treated my environment the best I could. However, this shot required a totally different setup and the result was the audio was completely unusable. I had to ADR the dialog which I was not very happy with the end result. I will be dumping some money into some better audio equipment in the near future.

My big focus for my first video was lighting. For this shoot, I purchased a StudioPro softbox kit that came with 65w 5,500k bulbs. I actually found that the lighting was much more effective (brighter over a larger area) when I put two bulbs in the ceiling fan than when they were in the softboxes. Overall, I'm not very happy with the outcome. I think the first shot of the Kinect looks pretty nice, but most of the shots of my face look pretty plain and wasn't really what I envisioned. I would really like some advice on what I can do better.

A learned to big lessons about lenses during the shoot. The first is after I completed my shoot, I found a very unpleasant red dot in all of my shots with my telephoto lens. Because the dot was small, I could not see it on my LCD preview screen. However, when I loaded it on my computer, I could very plainly see a large red dot in all of my shots. Because the dot was in all lenses, I knew this was a sensor problem. I promptly cleaned my sensor and then did an inspection to find the dot was no longer there. I ended up tossing all of the telephoto/wide shots...

The second lens lesson I learned is when I switched from my 18-55mm 3.5-5-6 to 50mm f/1.8 lens, I found that my f-stop was still set to 3.5. The only problem is I noticed this after my footage was shot! Because of this, my ISO was higher than it needed to be to compensate.

I'm glad to get my first video out of the way! Please give me feedback, I'm very open to constructive criticism.

Last edited:
Back