• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Killin Folks' (2010)

The opening was a bit repetitive, for the amount of time it took up at least. Perhaps jazzing up the action slightly rather than just having him clean the blood and rip his shirt. It was a very clever use of blood for the credits though – it just seemed a tad unrealistic when he took more than a few wipes to get off one bit of the blood, despite it apparently being from a fresh kill. Making the blood just a tad less thick probably would have fixed that.

The child actor (the one in the arms of the woman) was actually not bad, and fit well – the acting during the entire piece was pretty good, in fact, except perhaps the bearded employer, who just seemed slightly too eccentric for the tone (probably what you were going for, but it just doesn’t seem to work too well). The shots used for the dialogue between the two also seemed a tad... off – in part I think that’s to do with the angle he’s at compared to the camera. He looks a tad too far to the right, and is placed too centrally for a scene involving multiple people conversing (is that the right word)? Another note on that scene – why were there cricket sounds inside the warehouse, during the day (well, it seemed like it was day time just before he entered the building)? They probably should have been edited out, or you could have used a better microphone – they just don’t seem to fit the atmosphere at all.

The dialogue shots in the next scene were a lot better – half of the time. But, again, the background noise (wind) seemed to get in the way. The quality of the sound was just a bit off. The acting of the new guy in that digging scene was a tad off too.
In fact, the more I watch that video the more I think the acting all around is off... it isn’t bad, it’s just slightly off, and seems to detract from the quality of the video.

I haven’t really got the time to write more, but these same problems seem to persist throughout the entire video, so try and take them into consideration. I do like the video though, and I’ll look forward to seeing more from you :)

tl;dr: I enjoyed the video a lot, but the acting could be improved a tad and the shot composition and angles could be improved during the dialogue scenes.

A lot of the jokes seemed forced into the dialogue, and it could have been cut a lot tighter.

Looks like you guy spent some time on it. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the input guys!

I played McSteve ( guy who is in black shoveling and then in blue at the end) This was my very first time acting, I had done nothing with film prior to this so to hear anything positive is an absolute joy lol. I will take everything you said into consideration and try to get better!

I totally agree with the drawn out feel, I felt that way about the whole film to be honest but it is what it is right?

Oh and the child actor is my daughter, she is 2 and a half now so during the film she was 13 months old, hard to give direction to a baby that young but she did a great job lol.

I agree with the dialog, I think we need to do more improv and not look at the script as a bible lol...

Thanks guys!!

If you guys have any spare time can you check out this video? It's the latest project we are working on, I would really like to get some feedback on it. I am still worried about my acting since I have such limited experience. Any input is greatly appreciated guys! I am just glad that I finally got into making films, it's something I have always admired but knew nothing about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj2fVLTssNE

I feel some things like when I hang my head or try to project that I am upset or disappointing is too exaggerated, but everyone else says if I do it the way feels natural doesn't show enough on film lol. Oh same thing to be said about the surprised or thankful, maybe its because I know how I act in everyday life and its a lot more exaggerated than I would normally be?

Last edited:
Exaggeration is only appropriate for over-the-top comedy, with films like Dumber and Dumber (not sure if that's the right name). Some people have brilliant careers in over-the-top acting like that, but they more often than not don't rely on it - Jim Carrey, for instance.

More often than not though, subtlety can make things a lot funnier for the audience - it feels less thrown in their face and more like a natural joke. It actually adds to the effectiveness of the script. Leslie Nielsen had a successful career in dead pan comedy, which he just played like a stereotypical old man who makes mistakes.

"Surely you can't be serious?!"
"I AM serious. And don't call me Shirley."

I think your acting in the Unemployed Vampires was less over-the-top than in Killin' Folks, and it really pays off. With Killin' Folks it all felt painfully forced, but the style of acting in Unemployed Vampires actually fits the tone of the majority of the show, and it actually kept me interested.

All in all I guess it depends on the tone of the final film, but in my opinion natural acting can pay off in most genres, not just dramas and the like. Forcing facial expressions rarely works.

Thank you for the feedback! I agree with everything you have to say, and I hope in time I can hone my skills to multiple acting methods.

I love being in the forum, becuase I don't hear the usual "it was perfect" from friends who just don't want to hurt my feelings lol.

Back