kickstarter.com (whose used them)

I can't convince you :P

But I can tell you that personally there's no way in hell I'd donate just by hitting a PayPal button on some randomer's website, whereas there is a 1 in 1000 chance that I would donate via Kickstarter to some randomer's film.

Probably the crucial point, that I haven't mentioned, is that it is a directory of indie films and if you're looking for a film to invest in, then that's the place to go rather than trawling through the internet like a boatless fisherman...

I'm currently fund-raising with a project on Kickstarter - first time attempting it. Here are the benefits I can see:

1) It provides a place to put up a project without having to build a web site.

2) It looks professional and official. There's something to be said for that over some of the "I'm mailing everyone I know" pleas for money I've received from indie filmmakers in the past.

3) It's something "new" and "exciting" in a sense, to a lot of people outside of the entertainment industry.

We've gotten 15 or so contributions in the past week and a half, and we're about 12% of the way to our goal. Two or three of those people are not associated with any of us in any way - they seem to have found us on Kickstarter. I think with continued promotion, we'll build interest and intensity near the end of our project (when most people contribute) and hit funding.

I'm not thrilled that in addition to the 5% they take off the top, there is an additional fee for using Amazon's money service, which adds an additional 5% in fees. So, if we hit funding, we'll give up 10% off the top. However, if we found a producer to raise the money, they would get that, or more, as a reasonable fee.

Here's a link to our project:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stevegelder/reverb-junkies-a-feature-film-documentary-on-surf?ref=users

And I'm willing to answer follow-up questions, except for those regarding the donkey.

gelder

P.S. Hey, zensteve!

My experience

So far it's been almost entirely from people I know - I sent messages to people on facebook, etc - and I think I had one random person come across my project and donate $15. Which, to me, was thoroughly exciting.

Here's a link to my project:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/search?term=firemount

I've been trying to garner interested from like-minded people, but it's tough out there. Anyone had any other success?

Back