James Cameron did a Rodriguez, who'd of thunk it!

Wow, I just watched Titanic this afternoon, until now I never noticed that James Cameron not only directed it but produced it, wrote the screenplay, and was in on the editing. I guess he did a sort of Robert Rodriguez thing with Titanic. Kudos to Cameron.

I don't think Rodriguez has ever seen a budget nearly that big.. ;)

Besides, we all know the whole reason he did the film was so he could fund his own little submarine expedition to check out the Titanic remains on the seafloor... or was I the only one who knew that. Hmm.. Ok, maybe that sounds jaded and cynical.. my bad. For what it was, it was an enjoyable film, but damn it was expensive to make.

Writer/directors aren't uncommon and most of them have a very involved hand in editing. What Rodriguez does that's unusual is that he is also his own a) DP b) visual effects supervisor c) editor and d) sound mixer.

IMO, that's just too many hats. I did all of that for my film out of necessity but I wouldn't do it again if I didn't have to.

Agreed. I don't think physically I could handle wearing all those hats/roles-- stress level would go through the roof. I am up for delegating tasks, but I want to learn the different roles so as to better direct and coordinate/communicate/

Writer/directors aren't uncommon and most of them have a very involved hand in editing. What Rodriguez does that's unusual is that he is also his own a) DP b) visual effects supervisor c) editor and d) sound mixer. IMO, that's just too many hats. I did all of that for my film out of necessity but I wouldn't do it again if I didn't have to.

Yep and this is the perfcet example of why you should NEVER let one person have that much cloat. They produce and frankly overlong, badly written, badly acted dull and heartless film that entertains for about 10 mins...

that said it did make Billions so what teh f**k do I know right?

hmmm, :hmm: well it did win 11 academy awards, including best picture.

Yep and this is the perfcet example of why you should NEVER let one person have that much cloat. They produce and frankly overlong, badly written, badly acted dull and heartless film that entertains for about 10 mins. that said it did make Billions so what teh f**k do I know right?

hmmm, :hmm: well it did win 11 academy awards, including best picture.
It pains me to say this, because I've always wanted to stand on that stage and take home a little gold statue, but that's not a reliable gauge of what's good and what's not... not anymore anyway. The Academy has their own agenda for how the awards are given. There's no other way to explain why Scorsese was passed over for SO many years, while a lot of much less talented directors were nominated and won.

but that's not a reliable gauge of what's good and what's not...

But there can be a general consensus about what's considered good and what is not. For me, Titanic certainly has its flaws, but it's hard to argue with nearly $2 billion in grosses around the world, 11 Academy awards, and an 83% on the Tomato Meter. Mass popularity, Oscar-winning, AND critical acclaim. Just what WOULD a "reliable gauge" look like?!

Hey Will

Hey Will,

I agree with you about your concept of what the Academy awards look for when selecting a winner. I myself has always wondered how in the world they judge. Sometimes I see a film that deserves nothing less than an award get passed up for something that someone 'stumbled-upon'. I do love the movie titanic and I thought that it was AWESOME so no arguments with me in that department but some of the movies made nowadays, I have to question who the judges are on the panel of award-winning ceremonies. Its just like music because I am also passionate about that industry. I often see so many GIFTED artists get overlooked for someone that made a great IMPRESSION! What tha heck? There I've said it and now I feel so much better :)

Yours truly,

Triple Threat

I myself has always wondered how in the world they judge.

Man, if only there was some place one could go to find such information. ;)

I have to question who the judges are on the panel of award-winning ceremonies.

In the case of the Academy Awards, there is no panel of judges. There are 6000 members from every field of motion picture making. Members of specific Academy branches vote for their nominees and then the Academy at large votes for the winners.

So while individual members may have their biases, it's difficult to ascribe an "agenda" to a voting block that large. The reality is that the winners rely upon the votes of thousands of working professionals in the industry. There simply is no perfect system for picking what is ultimately a subjective recognition. The Oscars are what they are.

The other reality is that you are not going to agree with every winner, no matter what the circumstances. That doesn't make them unreliable or suspect. It's simply unreasonable to expect to agree with everyone on everything. It's just not going to happen. But there is a reason why the Oscar is so coveted and that's because it's an award from one's professional peers.

As a matter of fact, TITANIC was probably one of the few movies that should have won its Oscar... Not that I loved it. I didn't even like it that much but as Beeblebrox said -- it's very subjective so who am I to argue with that boxoffice? This was one where the PEOPLE definitely voted with their wallets and the Academy voted the same right alongside them.

But yes... It is an extremely political competition and often the best movies and performances aren't even recognized.

Val Kilmer for Doc Holliday in TOMBSTONE comes to mind and more recently, Ellen Page in HARD CANDY. These are just two examples of actors who should have received nominations for their roles but got passed over like yesterday's chicken.

filmy

Not to stray too much from film, but yes I watched about 2 minutes of Hannah Montana singing at the new years's eve thing on TV Dec 31st, I had never heard her sing, though you hear all about her everywhere. Well I thought she sounded like a cat getting strangled, zero appeal to me, at least what she sang. I think true and better talent can get lost in the image-making factories of hollywood and the record industry.

... I often see so many GIFTED artists get overlooked for someone that made a great IMPRESSION! What tha heck? There I've said it and now I feel so much better

Last edited:
Hey Everybody

Hey Everybody,

I just wanted to let you know that I thank ALL of you for your wonderful and kind words of wisdom...thanks again.

Yours truly,

Triple Threat

But there can be a general consensus about what's considered good and what is not. For me, Titanic certainly has its flaws, but it's hard to argue with nearly $2 billion in grosses around the world, 11 Academy awards, and an 83% on the Tomato Meter. Mass popularity, Oscar-winning, AND critical acclaim. Just what WOULD a "reliable gauge" look like?!

You stole my thoughts!

Back